Snorkel spearfishing suggestions

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by bottomfish, Jul 10, 2020.

1. bottomfish

bottomfish

I was debating getting into spearfishing with either a speargun or rubber propelled pole spear while snorkeling. I'm leaning towards a speargun because I'm not sure if a pole spear will have enough force for more heavily scaled fish.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of places that usually have clear water to spearfish. I live in Bay County but frequently travel around the Lower Peninsula. I haven't been snorkeling very long but one problem I've had is finding spots with good water clarity. I'd prefer to stick to water that isn't very deep. I'd also prefer spots where the water isn't too polluted, because I'd like to eat what I catch(I know only fish like carp, drum, gar, etc are allowed). Not expecting great spots, just some place I can explore and maybe get a fish.

Thanks for any suggestions

2. dmunger

dmunger

Check out this weeks edition of Michigan Out Of Doors TV show.
    They did a segment on snorkeling / spearfishing.

Glock1911 likes this.

3. bottomfish

bottomfish

Thanks I'll watch it. Think I found it on their youtube channel

Glock1911 likes this.
  4. bottomfish

bottomfish

Ended up ordering a 7ft pole spear to try out. Plan to wait on a speargun until next year if I think I'll snorkel enough. There isn't much left of the season and I just want to get out.

If I don't get any suggestions probably just going to check a bunch of lakes and rivers that aren't trout waters and are listed as having easy access.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  5. T Brown

T Brown

You’ll love the pole spear. I had a buddy in California and I got to try out both. I liked the pole much more and I was much more accurate with it. As far as bodies of water around here I’m not sure. If I remember correctly I think firefighter spears

bottomfish likes this.
  6. CrankyThunder

CrankyThunder

hey bottomfish:

I used to fish with a spear gun and I would either scuba or snorkel with a wet suit and weights. Generally, I would find large creeks or small streams that emptied into lake Michigan and I am sure there are similar ones on the east side.

What I would generally find at the mouths of these creeks is that there usually is a rather deep hole that is partially blocked by sand before it empties into the lake.

Generally speaking, these spots are popular when the weather is nice and the sun is shining with swimmers and sunbathers. consequently, I used to go in the early morning during the summer months. Spearguns and a beach full of swimmers and sunbathers are not a good mix. I will pm you a spot and general locations.

REgards,
    Cranky

Whitetail_hunter and bottomfish like this.
  7. bottomfish

bottomfish

Thanks for the advice CrankyThunder. I replied to your PM

Anyone know if the Muskegon River below Reedsburg damn would be legal? Seems like a decent spot. Might be too many swimmers near the dam in summer, but downstream might be worth a look. From underwater vids I've seen there seems to be suckers. Map seems to showing it being in the clear https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/Current-TSMap-33_619094_7.pdf but while searching I remember reading someone saying the Muskegon River was off limits, but maybe that is only way downstream.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  8. LushLife

LushLife

When I was a kid we'd steal flags/pins from the local country club golf course and then had a buddy's dad weld three long prongs on the top end, cut the bottom weight off and drill through for a ring with a long piece of surgical type tubing run through the ring

9. bottomfish

bottomfish

Sounds like a good way to make one.

Had issues with a pole spear I bought(missing spear head) and had to return it. In the meantime I made a smaller pole spear out of bamboo(already had for staking sunflowers) and surgical tubing. For the spear head I cut up one of those election type yard signs(One I used was for a company that did my Dad's Asphalt) and sharpened the three prongs I made from it.

Spearfishing hasn't gone too good. I kind of jumped the gun and still need snorkeling practice. Also have been busy with other things. Plan on getting at least a couple more snorkel practices in this August. So far the only place where the conditions were good for me to snorkel(Around Rockport) I only saw log perch and small smallmouth bass. Wasn't feeling super confident in my swimming ability and I snorkel alone so I didn't risk going too far out. Have since bought some flippers so maybe It'll be easier to swim next time.

10. Grinnell

Grinnell

Hit Frankfort pier, presque isle harbor

11. Bow hunter on a Mission

Bow hunter on a Mission Premium Member

Flippers will make a huge difference. Almost like having a motor

Fishfighter and Smallie12 like this.
  12. Smallie12

Smallie12

Ya, I couldn't imagine doing that without flippers. Maybe even invest in a wet suit just to sort of help protect your body from unknown areas with pollutants, not 100% effective, but better than nothing at all and would allow you to possibly do some of the bigger water and some of the more clear lakes which are often associated with being spring fed and much cooler than other lakes. Also, the flippers would help in bigger water should you venture anywhere where there could be a rip tide. Last thing we want is you to take a dive and not come back since you said you do this alone. Good luck in your endeavor, it actually sounds quite fun.

13. Chessieman

Chessieman

Yep, if you can handle the water temp at Rockport, P.I. will be warmer!