Snipers Killing Off Herds of Deer

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by bilili_3, Apr 2, 2019.

1. bilili_3

bilili_3

I hope I'm off base, but I've heard reports from people I trust in North Eastern Michigan, Iosco and Alcona County, that have witnessed snipers killing off large herds of deer. I deer hunt opening morning on federal or state land and have been doing so for the last seven or eight years. Normally, opening morning sounds like Vietnam. This year though, I heard no more than 20 gunshots during the first hour of opening morning. It was 13 °F and there was not an speck of wind, so I know if there were more people shooting, I would have heard it. I hunted on Cruzan Road in Alcona County in the middle of Federal Forest. People I know who have harvested deer every year including my family ... had a difficult time even seeing a deer this year anywhere in this area. I've heard reports of deer herd killings in Clark's Marsh. Another report came from a reliable source who talked to a man who served in the military and said that he witnessed snipers killing off deer in his own fields at night. When he approached them, he was instructed to leave the area and go home or face charges. I've been searching for information for the last couple of months and decided to post here to see if other people are aware of what may be going on with our deer herd.

2. Trout King

Trout King

Happening in Ionia County also.

3. bilili_3

bilili_3

Beyond our deer herd being killed off, it's the fact that it's being done at night subversively without letting the public know. I posted it here because I couldn't believe it was happening but I keep hearing more and more about it and I think if it is happening, people need to know

4. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

Isnt it happening on private property with the landowners consent as part of bTB control?

5. bilili_3

bilili_3

Yes... the one report i had was on private property but the landowner did not consent.

jiggin is livin and sureshot006 like this.
  6. sureshot006

Interesting... good time to call the local police.

7. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

That's going to be bar talk. Some bars add in the killing from helicopters.
    Not to long ago we had a discussion along these lines and a member was able to post the consent form that Wildlife Services uses to get the permission from a landowner to take deer from private property. Key words: CONSENT FORM
    I think it was the same member that posted the number of deer kills by W. S. so far in NE Mich. Wasn't many.

L & O

8. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

I have not heard of the sniper stuff but I do know it was the worst year up there in the past 5 years. Have hunted Iosco for the past 18 years and can only remember a couple other bad years right after the tb scare and the baiting ban. 2016 and 2017 were my two best years up there with numbers of deer seen, size of bucks (due to the apr's) and amount of buck sign and rutting activity. Last year sucked. Can't believe it went from so good to so bad so quick. Something is going on up there.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  9. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

Huh! Wonder what changed.:rolleyes:

Nuggets and jr28schalm like this.
  10. sureshot006

11. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

If it wasnt for this great site, I would only hear this bar chatter Nov 15th

12. mbrewer

mbrewer

Hearing it has to be at least 5 times better than reading it.

Petronius, DirtySteve, TK81 and 5 others like this.
  13. monkman

monkman

I live close to Clark's Marsh up here and from what it seems, sniper or DNR took some deer off the area for testing hence the do not eat deer advisory this year up here. But yep did not see much activity during firearm season.

jiggin is livin and bilili_3 like this.
  14. bilili_3

bilili_3

I figured was due to contamination away Clark's marsh.