Snipe Hunting

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by eggfly, Oct 20, 2019.

1. eggfly

eggfly

A good friend of mine has been camping and hunting for the last 2 weeks. He invited my 7 year-old twin boys and I up for the last night. About 2 hours before sundown, we started talking about snipe hunting. We told the boys they can be sold for big money but they must be careful as snipe can bite fingers off and scratch. Needless to say, they were excited. One of the boys said “do we need to make a run to town for a license”? That made me feel good to hear that.

Not long after the sun went down I saw a snipe run by. A few minutes later I saw another; not to be outdone, they saw this one also. So off into the woods we went; hunt and chasing snipe with grocery bags. About this time a deer hunter emerged from the woods. I convinced the boys to ask him if he saw any snipe tonight. Without a moment of hesitation, he replied “only 2, they were so fast I couldn’t catch them”. They said thank you and back to the hunt we went.

On our way back to camp I took one of the bags and started my stalk of this ever elusive bird. Just coming into the light of the campfire I made a mad dash forward jumping and diving only for the snipe to get away after biting me. I told the boys it was a small one and that’s why he didn’t bite my finger off.

About 5 minutes later my buddy returns when he spotted a snipe. He took a bag and dove on the ground. He started thrashing around screaming “I got one I got one and it’s really big”. During the commotion on the ground he put his hand through the bag. When he stood up he said to the boys “that was a big one, it tore through the bag and scratched me”.

That was all the snipe hunting they wanted to do so they returned to the fire. They spent the next hour talking about next time we snipe hunt. To be honest, one of the boys was a little scared after I was bit and my buddy was scratched.

Another generation indoctrinated.

I’d love to hear other stories so I can add to the legend I pass on.

2. 9mm Hi-Power

9mm Hi-Power Premium Member

Walt Disney's "Spin and Marty" circa mid-1950s:

There was also a "Walker, Texas Ranger" episode where Cordell Walker (Chuck Norris) and C.D Parker (Noble Willingham) suckered James Trivette (Clarence Gilyard) into a so-called "snipe hunt" . Hope this helps.

9mm Hi-Power

eggfly likes this.

3. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

Just wait until they start driver's ed before you explain to them about taking their girlfriends to the submarine races. :)

jiggin is livin and eggfly like this.
  4. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I missed a mallard feet down in the decoys three times, reloaded and shot three snipe out of a flock that ripped by after spooking from the shots at the mallard.

Glad they were dead and not crippled as I didn't know they can take off fingers.

Any one else ever worry of being impaled by a hummingbird? Sucking chest wound waiting to happen.

hbt and eggfly like this.
  5. Petronius

Petronius Premium Member

6. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

I have not pulled that one on anyone for many years. What's even more fun is seeing the look on a persons face when they find out there is such a bird as a snipe. I have had people argue they did not exist.

7. jimbo

jimbo

i knew about the bird before I ever heard about "snipe hunting" at night.
    I couldnt believe anyone ever fell for it.
    But I guess if youre young enough

jiggin is livin, capper and eggfly like this.
  8. eye-sore

eye-sore

Here snipe snipe snipe......i remember taping that bag with a stick for hours while my uncle laughed his ars off

jiggin is livin and eggfly like this.
  9. capper

capper Premium Member

I went for a (snipe hunt) my first time at Boy Scout camp. It was a part of our initiation.
    Pretty embarrassing when you discover you’ve been had.

jiggin is livin and eye-sore like this.
  10. david boyko

david boyko

Wet birds don't fly at night.

11. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

I remember taking several people out in the swamp at night over the years.
    When they finally returned they never looked very happy.

RMH likes this.
  12. ibthetrout

ibthetrout

Family reunion, about 1977. My uncle an avid rabbit hunter starts talking about snipe hunting around the bonfire. My dad convince me, my brother and one of our younger cousins to take burlap bags out to catch snipe at night. I was the older of the three and didn't really want to, I knew something was up. So we are out in the hay field behind the house with switches and burlap bags. You have to hit the ground with the switch and it scares the snipes into your bag. Off in the distance we can he the loud whooping of snipes coming our way (or maybe it was my uncle?). Dad comes running out to the field while all the whooping is going on. He grabbed a rabbit from our barn and put it in my brothers bag and tells us to all wait until the noise stops and then come running back showing everyone our catch. Of course dad was first to see us and gives the bag to my uncle. The bag moves and my uncle jumps. Everyone is excited telling him to reach in and pull it out. At this point only my dad and the 3 of us boys knew what the game was. As soon as my uncle put his hand in there he knew what it was and gave a big smile. That snipe hunt snipe hunt is still talked about and us boys were excited to be in on the gag and not be had.

13. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

Or city enough.

14. capper

capper Premium Member

I already knew about the bird type of Snipe. Sometimes my dad would bring a few home when he had been duck hunting. I just thought- the way they described them- that this was an altogether different beast. Fooled me!

eggfly likes this.