Smoked meat

Discussion in 'BBQ Recipes' started by kroppe, Jul 18, 2020.

1. MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

i have a stable of smokers. only type i don't really have is a pellet smoker. I have a big offset thats been highly modified to run how i want it (brinkmann trailmaster). Also, a Weber Smoky Mountain (18"), a Masterbuilt XL propane that has some mods, a primo oval jr, a weber kettle that I do some smoking in, along with a few grills that I can and have done some smoking in like a weber summit gasser, a lamb rotisserie, and i'm probably missing a few. This weekend I'm going to smoke up 6 racks of ribs, a pork loin, a chuck roast, and make a rotisserie chicken that gets touched with some apple and cherry smoke.

kroppe, TK81, Walleyze247 and 2 others like this.
  2. Walleyze247

Walleyze247

It turned out pretty good, although it took quite a few hours to break the venision down. I need to get some port butts smoked before it gets too cold.
    20200903_111551.jpg

kroppe and sureshot006 like this.

3. MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

almost forgot, i'm grilling a lot of lamb chops today because why not. may pick up a pork butt or two also today for future smokes. I will try to document my rotisserie chicken. its simple, but i swear its amazing.

kroppe likes this.
  4. Walleyze247

Walleyze247

Keep us in the loop with the chicken.

kroppe likes this.
  5. MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

It's pretty simple. Make sure chicken sky is dry. Olive oil rub and then a good amount of either plowboys yardbird or what the cluck seasoning by triple 9. I've also used meat church's deez nuts seasoning with good results too. Then I take some of whatever rub I'm using and mix it with some water and inject into the breast and thighs.

Have my Weber set up with one basket on each side each with just less than half a chimney of coals. Rotisserie running and a drip pan with either: a. Water or b.potatoes with a little broth to cook in drippings. Then I add a chunk of apple and cherry on each end of each basket so they smoke. I have a wireless thermometer in the thickest part of the breast, though I'd say start checking at around 50 minutes, but usually it takes about 1hr 15 minutes for a full bird. Pull, let cool for 10 minutes, carve and enjoy.

brushbuster and kroppe like this.
  6. MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

No Mas, kroppe, lasec17 and 2 others like this.
  7. Tankster

Tankster

Did a hybrid pork butt today, 6 hours in the smoker then 1 hour 20 minutes in the instant pot. Tasted great! 20200907_172231.jpeg 20200907_200821.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

8. No Mas

No Mas

St. Louis ribs on the MB today. 9.5 hrs total cook time. 4 hours unwrapped, 5.5 hours wrapped. Wife likes them fall off the bone and they were all of that!

9AC962E1-6BF3-44FB-95F4-A7271F403E8D.jpeg E19C07EB-2014-44F5-A902-D3E0950E36F1.jpeg

selectcut, TK81, kroppe and 1 other person like this.
  9. kroppe

kroppe

Great looking ribs! The bones poking out are a good sign!

No Mas likes this.
  10. Walleyze247

Walleyze247

11. kroppe

kroppe

Looks great @Walleyze247 ! Today I smoked two racks of ribs using the method @No Mas mentioned above. Will report if there are any left! ;)

Walleyze247 likes this.
  12. Walleyze247

Walleyze247

Thanks Kroppe, they turned out good. On a tip from my cousin, I mixed some green oak with my hickory and some apple. I liked the way the oak smoked. I'm getting used to the charcoal smoker, and trying to control the temp. Post your rib pics when it's done.

kroppe likes this.
  13. jiggerjarvi

jiggerjarvi

8248F2EE-34BD-4D03-9CB7-36C310F58839.jpeg DDDD61A5-0E9D-4B5C-B535-07F1FCEBED0A.png Haven’t read thru this entire thread, so I hope this brine recipe for chicken is fresh. I use it on a whole spatchcock chicken on my Pitt Boss Austin XL.

brine overnight, rinse well after brining, and dry with paper towels before cooking, make sure brine is cool before using.
    It makes the white meat just as tender as the dark, I cook until the temp probe hits 170, and there is no dry meat, I keep pushing the temps each cook to find the overdone point, I prefer my chicken not wet, but a bit drier at the bone.
    Pellets used have been the Competition blend, cherry, and hickory, all with good results, I also have cooked the bird with and without additional seasoning after the brine and haven’t had a complaint yet.

TK81 and kroppe like this.
  14. No Mas

No Mas

Whole Venison shoulder smoked for two hours at 225 until an IT of 125 or so. Braised in wine, beef broth and veggies for nearly five hours at 275. Fall off the bone tender!

Deer camp pulled venison sandwiches. 8AE288CA-4C21-4F89-8DF1-0428183A250D.jpeg
    9E1DA5FB-EAC8-4341-BD95-8046E14EE74C.jpeg

jiggerjarvi, kroppe, zig and 2 others like this.
  15. USMarine2001

USMarine2001

What temp are u cooking at for a 9 hr rib cook?

I have a 3.5 hr cook time for ribs....

I cook brisket and pork butts in under 6 hrs

Sent from my SM-G981U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app