Smithwick lures

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Justin, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Justin

Justin

I just bought a devils horse lure that is new in the box at a yard sale. Does anyone know anything about this lure?

2. MEL

MEL Premium Member

Should be a surface lure with a prop on front and back, kind of long and skinny. I have two but never seem to use them. When I did they didnt do to well, guess thats why I dont use them.

3. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

I have caught many bass on them. Change the factory trebles. ;)

4. Justin

Justin

Those are some strange looking trebles for sure. I thought it might be a "saver" but it sounds like I might as well use it.

5. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Smallies will crush them, especially in the fall. Pike love them in the early season.

6. jigworm

jigworm

Great bait. I have removed the front spinner on a few wich causes the front to sit up a little and it slaps the water when jerked. Just a different look. I have an old frog pattern with hardly any paint left that still catches fish.

7. ficious

ficious catch & digest Premium Member

Smithwick makes rapala type baits too, even suspenders. Caught a ton of eye's on the "Big O" style baits. Haven't seen those in 20 years though.

Harry

8. That is called a rattlin rouge........I don't think they make the big O......Mack

9. jigworm

jigworm

I think Cotton Cordell made the Big O. Smithwick still makes the rouge. It's popular down south and outsells the Rapala in places like Louisiana.

10. ficious

ficious catch & digest Premium Member

Thanks, I couldn't remember the name of the Smithwick and mentioned the Big O more as a type. AH yes, the old Rattlin Rouge. The small Big O in chrome is an awesome bait as well.

Harry