Smith and Wesson Pistol

Discussion in 'Firearm Identification/Value' started by mike_b, Mar 13, 2016.

1. mike_b

mike_b

I ran across this forum via Google and you have quite a few [email protected] posts so here goes.

i acquired a [email protected] 38 from an old lady. 16-3 is behind the cylinder. It starts with 1K84. Can anyone date this gun?

2. 9mm Hi-Power

9mm Hi-Power Premium Member

Not sure why you post that it's a"38" ? The S & W Model 16 (in 1957 S & W dropped calling their handguns by a "name" e.g. " K-32 Combat Masterpiece ") and started using a number designation. The Model 16 was the new name for the K-32 Combat Masterpiece and was chambered for the .32 S & W Long cartridge -not the .38 Special. The caliber designation should be on the right side of the barrel. Given the abbreviated serial # you provided your gun was most likely produced in 1971. Production of the 16-3 began in 1967 and continued till 1974 when production of the M16 was discontinued. The 16-4 was introduced in 1989 but chambered for the .32 H & R Magnum cartridge and was discontinued in 1993. Depending on condition and whether or not you have the box, tools, original stocks etc. that came with the gun your handgun could be extremely collectible and could be worth well into the four figure range - as in $$$$.00 plus. IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO SELL IT DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TAKE IT TO YOUR LOCAL GUN SHOP or BIG BOX STORE. If you could post photos of the serial #, cartridge designation, stocks etc. please do and I can provide more info.

For what it's worth I am not interested in buying it but am interested in providing as much info. as I can on what may be a very collectible S & W.

Hope this helps.

9mm Hi-Power

Also - measure the barrel from the end of the barrel to the face of the cylinder.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    The Whale, Petronius and sullyxlh like this.