Smelt? - SW Michigan rivers / Lake Mich.

Discussion in 'South West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by joeiicool, Mar 19, 2009.

1. joeiicool

joeiicool

Does the St. Joe/MI. area get a smelt run? Has anyone had success here? Any tips / tricks.

I use to smelt in Port Washington, WI and was wanting to try it here?

When do they run? I remember March / April? The DRN says 2-3 wk window 10PM to 2AM is best. Is it done off the St. Joe/BH piers?

Joe

2. jward

jward

There used to be a smelt run in New Buffalo , but I couldn't give you the specifics.

Jward

3. quest32a

quest32a Mods

I haven't heard of a decent smelt run down for for quite some time. Waste of time more or less.

4. 8nchuck

8nchuck

Smelt dipping is like pheasant hunting. The best days are LONGGGGGGGG gone.

To bad, I had me some great times smelt drinking,, er,,, I mean dipping

5. TheUrbanMustache

TheUrbanMustache Guest

:SHOCKED::lol:

i needed a good laugh guys...Thank You!:lol:

6. Leelanauman

Leelanauman

Better off going to the east side of the state near au gres or go to da UP eh.

7. wally-eye

wally-eye Guest

Gosh that brings back memories from 25 years ago or so. We used to pick up a few out of this tiny little creek that dribbled into Lk. Mich. I call it a creek but it was no more than 2 ft wide at best and maybe 6 to 8 inches deep. Kind of fun laying on a tarp next to the creek with a regular ice scoop and a lantern back a few feet.......one here, one there and after a few hours you'd have 25 or so, enough for a meal......... Looked crazy doing it but never seen another person there beside's me and my buddy........... Ya ya I know, well it's somewhere between Muskegon and Benton Harbor......

8. MallardMaster

MallardMaster

Just being a 'Young Buck' here, I yearn for the days of Yester-Year, from hearing the yarns about how wonderful things were in the UP and other regions of Michigan. For those of you that got to experience this, I am jealous!!

9. Steven Arend

Steven Arend

The last time I can remember having any type of Smelt run was about 15 to 16 years ago. We would make the rounds from Cherry Beach (near Harbor Shores) all the way north to Rocky Gap, stopping at 10 to 15 stops on the way. We would do this every other night from 10:00pm to 1:00am looking for the smelt. We would start doing this around the last 2 weeks of April till about the second week of May. Once we hit the smelt we would then go every night till they were gone. Between 4 of us we would get 20 to 30 gallons of smelt and then head home to clean them.

The last time we tried this again was about 7 years ago and out of 4 weeks of looking for smelt we ended up with about 12 total.

Steve

10. wally-eye

wally-eye Guest

You should have seen the smelt dipping at Pt. Peele in Canada back in the 50s and early 60s. 30 foot long seine's with a 1/4 to 1/2 of a washtub full of smelt with one pull of the seine........

Those days are long gone.............but some things are a lot better now than years ago......ala walleye fishing......salmon etc etc etc

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  11. itchn2fish

itchn2fish

We used to do well in a small creek just south of GH, but it's been many years since I've seen them in decent numbers. Maybe some day, they'll be back, I hope.

12. joeiicool

joeiicool

Well, sounds like my only option around st. Joe is NINO's or Martins?

Thanks again!

Joe

13. axisgear

axisgear

I miss the smelt runs....:sad: I don't miss freezing my **** off for half a bucket on a bad night,though. Sometimes I try to forget,but I do miss the eighties for the smelt at least. I'm glad I experienced it at least.;)

14. STEELCHASER5150

STEELCHASER5150

Gotta go to the U.P.. Great fun, camping with a few buddies,,beer,,well ya"ll know what i"m gettin at!

15. jward

jward

Never ever leave the 5 gallon pail of smelt on the porch where the dog can get at !!! Trust me no good comes of this :yikes: