Skunks

Discussion in 'Michigan Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by woodsrider, Oct 3, 2020.

1. woodsrider

woodsrider

I have been trapping for a long time so I have most size traps. I have a skunk problem around my house. I have never trapped skunks on purpose. Since it’s in my yard I would like to keep them from spraying when caught. Thought about using a 160 conibear. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. micooner

micooner

Haven't caught many skunks but I think with a coni you run the risk of a "release". Maybe live trap would be better. I seen some you tube vids on dispatching that might help.

3. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

I've had the best luck of no spray with the 160s. Maybe a little leakage but doesn't smell too bad. I've shot dozens and that never worked. You could also live trap, cover with tarp and transport to a safer area.
    Bucket set with Cheetos

micooner likes this.
  4. mjh4

mjh4

Best way to not get sprayed is catch em in a live trap then grab em by the tail and swing him around like a lasso above your head a few times then release him in the neighbors garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

5. piscatorial warrior

piscatorial warrior Premium Member

I've done this many times. I haven't had one spray yet.

6. jscheel

jscheel

Live trap is your best bet. The smallest you can get away with.

7. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Sardines for bait...you'll get em the first night unless a coon or possum gets to the bait first....

8. woodsrider

woodsrider

I appreciate all the responses. I will try my small box trap that I use for squirrels and if that doesn’t work I will use the 160.

9. alaska86

alaska86 Premium Member

As jscheel said, small live trap. Then shoot through the lungs with a 1000-1200 fps pellet gun. They just go to sleep

Seldom likes this.
  10. jrose

jrose

I have caught several, Live trapped. Throw a blanket/tarp over the trap and they cooperate pretty well. Letting them out is the rodeo!!

gatorman841 likes this.
  11. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Put it in a lake

sureshot006 and BulldogOutlander like this.
  12. BulldogOutlander

BulldogOutlander

that's what my grandpa used to do when get got a skunk. Use an old horse blanket, toss it over the livetrap, cut a hole for the handle, set it in the bed of the truck, drive down the road to the local boat launch, tie a rope to the handle, and toss it in with blanket still on.. whittle a piece of wood for 5-10 minutes, and then pull rope in

13. 22 Chuck

22 Chuck

Even if they do spray it only lasts about 6 weeks. Then after each rain you may smell a little for another month or so.

14. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

I heard it from a friend that a good prank on the boss that pissed you off is to empty a bottle of skunk scent in the air vents on his car. Never tried it myself but imagine it would be nasty...

15. Mike da Carpenter

Mike da Carpenter

My German Shorthair got a shot to the face at point blank range on August 31st. He got 7 baths in 3 days with Peroxide, baking soda and Dawn dish soap. It did tone it down, but 5 weeks later when he hops up on your lap, there is a faint hint still. As he came in the house after getting sprayed, my wife let him in and yelled about the smell as he head butted me when I was bent over putting my boots on. I literally could not shake the smell. Felt sorry for him, but had to go shave before I went to work.

Woke up my boys and told them to get busy and headed out the door for work. Yeah, wife was quite torqued off.

He obviously got it inside the mouth too as he literally had the same smell coming out the back end later that day when I got home.

My boys set a live trap to catch the skunk and all we got that week was 1 possum and 3 raccoons. Found the Skunk was digging up a ground bee nest and eating the honeycomb that was down there.

Ended up spraying the nest with 2 full cans of that foaming hornet killer. The next morning, the entire hive was dug up and devoured. No idea how they can eat that much poison and walk off.

I’m interested in seeing if my GSP will remember the bad experience or go back for redemption. He too is German (like myself) so I see a few more encounters in his future.

It’s all part of life owning a hunting dog.

homer666 likes this.