close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Size mud motor for Grumman?

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by moose1, Sep 29, 2017.

1. moose1

moose1

Good to know. I've looked around for a used one the last couple years here and there. There was one last year but he wanted the same as new for it. The surface drives go through mud and weeds as well?

2. smoke

smoke

Yes they do and are easier to handle as well, with the shorter outdrive. You can get a lighter weight model sd motor with a smaller engine. You may want to look around and see what you can find. Compared to my two longtails i've had, the sd motors are MUCH easier to steer in general, especially in a stiff side wind. Copperhead makes one and mb makes a smaller version with a 23hp as well. Not sure about other makers but if there is a market, i'm sure there out there somewhere.

3. moose1

moose1

Found someone selling a 9 ho go devil but those suckers are heavy. 140 lbs but it has an electric start. I'm thinking that's just too heavy considering I can go with a 7 hp ppf at 59 lbs

smoke likes this.
  4. SteelShot

SteelShot

Sounds like you have your mind made up on the ppf Moose. I’m sure you will be happy with it and I do understand your concern with the weight. Make sure you have a grab bar or a way to add one. Those long tails can really take some leverage and are easier to run when standing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. smoke

smoke

The go devil will be a much better built motor but I fully understand your weight concerns. I believe its to heavy as well.

6. Puddler-Hunter

Puddler-Hunter

I wouldn't even think about putting a motor that heavy on my Grumman. That being said I'm also thinking of putting a PPF Woodduck on my sportboat but I don't like the idea of standing up. I use a 4hp Evinrude now but want just a little more power and ability to get through shallow water better. Not sure what to do.......decisions, decisions.

7. lastflight

lastflight

Those small mud motors (6-7hp) are not hard to handle from a seated position, I do it all the time. With a hunting load in your boat you aren't going to be on plane, not to mention the managed areas are no-wake zones.

smoke likes this.
  8. Puddler-Hunter

Puddler-Hunter

That’s good to know I was going to call PPF and ask that very question. I also saw a video of the motor operator sitting down although it was a short clip. Makes me feel better about getting one now.

smoke likes this.