Sitka vs First Lite

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Boardman Brookies, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Milosh

Milosh

I bought the fanatic bibs and coat last year because I kept getting cold, it’s expensive but I thought it was worth it. Hunted late November through December and never got cold with a good base layer. As others have stated if you have a long walk you will get warm.

2. Fisherman6

Fisherman6

Can’t speak for Sitka l, but I can’t say enough about the first lite sanctuary. I have lighter weight stuff from them as well and love it. Merino wool socks and base layers combined with the sanctuary I’ve found to be bulletproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

3. mrt6893

mrt6893

i have the bibs and they are amazing full leg zipper to dump heat as you walk in.

4. Jdhunttrapfish

Jdhunttrapfish

I have the sanctuary set as well, very well made, super quiet and warm, only thing is high wind will cut through the jacket a bit, i purchased a windstopping light jacket and that should fix the problem, as far as baselayers I have firstlite as well imo you can't go wrong with their merino wool

5. TriggerDiscipline

TriggerDiscipline

The Sitka stuff is absurdly expensive. At that price I would expect some gold stitching and a voucher to a Nevada massage parlor to boot.

I wear layers of wool and Baffin insulated boots. Never get cold.

6. matt76cmich1

matt76cmich1

Last year I felt the Sitka Fanatic set was worth every penny I paid (used off Archery Talk) and then some when we had those single digit mornings last November. I also have the First Lite Solitude set and I'm happy with it, but 32°F and under the Fanatic will come out.

Both are great companies, but being a bigger guy Sitka has more options in 3xl than First Lite does and Sitka seems to fit me overall better (Fanatic set, Stratus set, and a handful of other things).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Boardman Brookies and Eyecon like this.
  7. jfishbones

jfishbones

I just went down the same road and chose Day One Camo in Cowbow Suede.
    Owner is a great guy, guys give good reviews of the camo, you can have it sized in sleeves and inseams.
    Waiting on it to be delivered as we speak.
    Made in USA!
    Sitka and First lite pay like $40 for a chinese jacket and mark it up 800%.

d_rek and TriggerDiscipline like this.
  8. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

I like the 1/3 less price! Some of that stuff they are pretty damn proud of.

I was looking at a set last month and thought you’d have to be nuts to pay the price and it was LOUD. I hated the material. No idea why anyone would pay that price for something that sucks that bad as far as material goes. It did look nice, but that was it.

I do need to look more into the merino wool. That seems pricey too, but if it works it’ll be worth it and save a grand in over priced outers. My wife gets cold easy, so I’m thinking the wool would be good for her and if she says it works, then I’ll believe it. Lol

triplelunger likes this.
  9. skipper34

skipper34

You can't be talking Kryptek if you mention loud. My Kryptek Vellus fleece is as quiet as they come. And my Aegis Extreme is the same.

aacosta likes this.
  10. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

No, I wasn’t. I was agreeing with you.

I can’t remember which of the brands it was. But I know I’ve driven a couple vehicles that cost less. Lol

11. triplelunger

triplelunger

Look into meriwool brand on amazon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

jiggin is livin likes this.
  12. Slimits

Slimits

I think sitka has the best clothing but the worst camo coloring. Makes you glow around mossy oaks.

13. Boardman Brookies

Boardman Brookies

Part of the reason I am leaning towards First Lite. A few different patterns. Im going to order one or the other here before the weekend. Still not 100%. I do like a hood and the Sanctuary has that as the Fanatic does not. One or the other is this easy choice. The baselayers are where I am struggling. Soooooo many options. Light, mid and heavy. Dozens upon dozen of retailers.

14. skipper34

skipper34

If you are still undecided, please take a look at Kryptek. Everything Sitka and First Lite offer at a more reasonable price point.

15. yooperkenny

yooperkenny Crazed Country Rebel

Here's 2 cents from da UP which of course can pose challenges to keeping warm...

I own a few pieces from Sitka, First Lite, and Kuiu, but most all of them I picked up during off season super clearance sales; the Scotsman in me just can't allow ever paying their MSRP. They all perform very well for their intended purposes and are quality garments. I can't really recommend any of them over the others because everyone's thermostat is so different it comes down to a personal choice. Luckily if you pick up a piece and decide it's not for you it's easy enough to sell it on ArcheryTalk or wherever and not lose too much on the deal.

I picked up the Kryptek Aegis bibs (also on sale) and agree that they're first rate. They're insulated with Primaloft which is lightweight and pretty toasty. During the UP late season I pair them with a Cabelas MT050 parka in Vertigo which works for me. Staying warm often comes down to your choices for covering your head, hands and feet which is a whole different conversation. I'm also trying out an IWOM for when I'm sitting late season (vs still hunting).

Merino wool base layers were mentioned and there tends to be some confusion about their best uses. Don't get me wrong I have lots of merino and wear it often, but I've noticed after working up a sweat on the walk in how my synthetics are dry as a bone after a few minutes of just sitting still and cooling down. I generally don't put on my outer layers or neck and head coverings until that happens. This is all dependent on all of your layers over your baselayer being breathable to allow that moisture to escape.

I look at it like the purpose of my next to skin baselayer is to wick sweat from my skin period. I look to my insulating layers for warmth - usually puffy/primaloft, fleece, and/or wool.

Here is a different perspective on merino vs synthetic from the late Jason Hairston of Kuiu. He points out how merino is hydrophilic and synthetics are hydrophobic which plays into their usefulness in different scenarios. He provides some good info that gets you thinking about which one to use when:

Good Luck in The Whitetail Woods!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    stickbow shooter and Eyecon like this.