Sitka vs First Lite

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Boardman Brookies, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Boardman Brookies

Boardman Brookies

What does everyone think for these brands and cold gear. I am talking low 40s down to single digits. I have my mid to upper 40s and and above figure out. I want to upgrade base layers, bibs and jacket with some gear where I am not freezing my ass off after 2 hours.

I've read review and watched the vids. I am thinking either the Sitka Fanatic II system or the First Lite sanctuary. The Sitka cost about $200 more for the set that First Lite. Buf if the Sitka is much better I am not as concerned.

Also looking at several brand for merino wool base layers. What is everyone using for that? Thanks in advance.

2. Eyecon

Eyecon

I’ve never touched anything from first lite so I can not compare the two. I pulled the trigger on the sitka incinerator bibs and jacket this year. I have not hunted in it but it feels bad ass! I don’t even want to talk about the price of it tho. I had a heart attack last year and have lost 75lbs. Combine that with the meds and I’m always cold this year. I wore the under Armour outfit I used to use in gun season for a morning sit last week and I froze my but off. Tomorrow morning I’ll be in the incinerator

3. Boardman Brookies

Boardman Brookies

I have a UA suit now and I was cold yesterday when it was around 30. I think the Incinerator might but a bit much for both price and need for me. But they do sound like some great super cold gear

Eyecon likes this.
  4. Stubee

Stubee

The guy who usually hunts with me in NW Ontario bought the full Sitka Fanatic set plus under layers (can’t tell ya which ones) and he likes them a lot. He gets cold easy but the last really bitter sit we had together he was warmer than me. It seems like very good stuff.

I typically wear wool and the only cold I feel is in my skinny legs. After trying his stuff on I went to Jay’s shopping but I just didn’t like the cut of the Fanatic pants and I’m not a bibs guy. I ended up getting Cabelas Wooltimate pants and have been very happy with them + my Filson Dbl cruiser etc on top in some very cold weather, like 15F and below with wind. I mostly sit out in the woods vs in a box blind.

I hear good stuff about First Lite too and IME it would be good to try some of each brand on.

stickbow shooter and Nostromo like this.
  5. Decker

Decker

I purchased Sitka this year (early,mid,&late season). So far I’m extremely happy with them. With my summer (traverse) set set it keeps me very cool and wicks well. With little bit of laying I could sat those early morning down to 38 degrees with no problem. But it was windy it got a little chill. When it drop below that I put my mid season (stratus) on and was perfect even with the wind. I haven’t got a chance to try my late season (fanatic) on yet. But I’m sure it going to be plenty warm.

Eyecon likes this.
  6. TJD

TJD

I’m pretty happy with my Sitka fanatic suit, Im not sure that I’ve hunted in Single digits Yet with the Sitka gear, but in some pretty cold/windy weather and it’s the warmest Hunting suit that I’ve owned. I also wear some cabelas brand merino wool underlayers when the temps drop. The only negatives for me was the bibs can get a little too warm if walking in long distance or carrying gear..and The older fanatic bibs like i have are burr magnets, supposedly they have tried to address that with some sort of different material on the lower portion of the bibs now that is more burr resistant. I also purchased a pair of Sitka equinox pants for slightly more moderate temps and really like those too. I haven’t owned first lite, but I’ve heard good things and had considered them as well.

Eyecon likes this.
  7. canvasback

canvasback

whatever you get make sure it is windproof. I don't believe the fanatic II is windproof. So I would say Fanatic or the Stratus system and then layer underneath it. I have some sitka stuff, stratus pants, equinox hoodie etc and they are awesome. The stratus pants are what I wore in the single digit/teens last season and they were fine with some merino underneath. I bought a huntworth windproof jacket for a third of the cost of the stratus jacket and I swear that is comparable with the sitka.

8. skipper34

skipper34

I would choose neither. I just bought the complete Kryptek Aegis Extreme system. About a third less money but just as good at keeping you warm and dry. Extremely quiet too. And I love the Highlander camo pattern.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  9. aacosta

aacosta

Hows the fit on the aegis for bowhunting?

10. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

No issues with the sanctuary, I haven't been cold yet, and I use it primarily in late November through December. Been in single digits with it. I haven't used it in the rain nor do I expect to stay dry in the rain using it without raingear.

11. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

Black ovis merino wool for me. Camo fire often has sales on it.

12. bd670

bd670

I have the sanctuary and love it. Its not something you want to beat the brush with as its pretty soft but its extremely quiet

13. mparks

mparks

I've been using the Sitka Fanatic bibs and coat for 8-10 years. Can't complain. They have held up very well. Haven't tried First Lite.

Look up John Barklow on Instagram or podcasts. He's a Sitka guy but he does a great job of explaining how to layer. Some great stuff on The Stickbow Chronicles podcast about wearing a thin Windstopper layer right over base layers. He's also great on explaining Merino vs. synthetic base layers.

14. skipper34

skipper34

Perfect. It stretches during the draw. Warmest I ever wore.

15. 131north

131north

I was looking real hard at First Lite & Kuiu and then stumbled upon the DIY Sportsman's review of Thlete camo. Gave me cause to think more...

For merino I settled on the LLBean Cresta 250 because it came in tall sizing. Very happy with that purchase and glad I bought Merino first and am trying it because it's giving me a better idea of how I want to layer for cold weather.

jiggin is livin likes this.