close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Simcoe

Discussion in 'Icefishing LP inland lakes and rivers' started by compli123, Dec 4, 2017.

1. compli123

compli123

Never been but I'd appreciate any info about it (going in February). Of course I know what I'm fishing for but any veterans willing to give me some insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Greene.env and J Sibert like this.
  2. Smallie12

Smallie12

Can't be of any hard water help but my aunt and uncle used to fish it many years ago for a couple decades until they were well past the age they should have been doing it alone. They always had great success and also fished Rice Lake as well. What I would do is maybe look for a chat room similar to this but for Canadian water specifically and read up on what the locals are saying or have said in the past. Here ya go, simple Lake Simcoe chat room search and this popped up, give it a go and hopefully this will help some. Local knowledge is always the best knowledge imho.

http://www.lakesimcoemessageboard.com/forums/index.php

3. jmaddog8807

jmaddog8807

Just search Simcoe on here. You'll find more info than your eyes can read. That's how I find out about lakes on here during ice season. I just search a lake I am interested in fishing, and usually more info than I can read comes up.

Good luck man, would love to go to Simcoe one winter.

Bay BornNRaised and 6Speed like this.
  4. riverjigger1225

riverjigger1225

Try deeper water 2-3 miles out try jigging raps 2-5 sizes and BIG beaded spoons (kens hooks red bead rootbear colorbeads

Bay BornNRaised likes this.
  5. Greene.env

Greene.env

6. Smallie12

Smallie12

Of course, great idea, only problem with that though is that there are not nearly as many people from MI going there to fish as there are people that live right there and fish all the time. A lot of people's responses on here are at the very best from days ago when they were there for maybe a couple days or a week at most and things could have changed drastically as they do day to day in ice fishing or any fishing for that matter. I suppose someone could give a live update on here when they are there but then that isn't the time the OP is going to be there either. But if you read up on the locals with the intricate knowledge much can be gained. That's all, I was just thinking the most recent knowledge is the best knowledge and the knowledge from someone who has fished it very recently or for many years is going to be way more applicable versus someone who once went there last year or a decade ago. I would love to go too as I know it can be awesome.

7. Gone_Hunting

Gone_Hunting

I go twice a year. Once in Jan and once in Feb. What do you want to know..?

onenationhere likes this.
  8. Sharkbait11

Sharkbait11

what are you targeting perch or lakers/whities? different locations for both on the lake...and multiple locations for both species...lots of info on simcoe forum posted above.

9. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised

Local knowledge is usually the best if you can find Reliable first hand local info. Not sure about that message board you posted but after a personal experience I would steer away from thee Almighty Peter that seems to have alot of one sided info and chooses who gets the truth and who don't. If he is the rockstar on that message board you know who I am referring to.

Howard Baumann likes this.
  10. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised

You may find better reliable info from us fellow americans that go there for decades year after year. Just sayin.... Ask and I am confident you will find your answers right here.

11. Smallie12

Smallie12

Not sure on that message board either, it was being used simply as an example that there are other sources of information like this board which may be of help too. Just trying to give a guy some ideas he may not have thought about. One source of local knowledge that isn't always great is a local baitshop because we all know they tell you the fishing is hot to get you to stop in and spend some $, lol. But a resource is a resource and once in a while you find a trustworthy one and you gotta make right with them to keep that relationship going, give and take for sure.

12. Gone_Hunting

Gone_Hunting

Bring on Canada!!

Attached Files:

13. Sharkbait11

Sharkbait11

do you tip with a minnow or minnow head? I have been hesitant to use them i feel the bead on the end wouldnt allow a good hook set...

14. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised

Gotcha on trying to help the guy out with different options. My point was trying to help also that them there Canadians try to take every penny they can also. I don't rely on baitstores info they give about fishing. Being broad and general info anyways, Sometimes can read between the lines from what info they do give to what you take from it.