close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Silver Labs

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by 2manyfish, Mar 16, 2018.

1. 2manyfish

2manyfish

Does anyone have experience with "silver" labs? We are considering a new pup and have been looking at a few of these breedings. My wife thinks they are pretty. I would want to use for hunting.

Any thoughts or experiences about silver labs as a hunting dog?

2. Spartan88

Spartan88

I have thoughts but no experiences. My thoughts are if you like them, get one. And ignore the black tie hunt test elitists here. I'm duck hunting with a chihuahua before I die... :D

3. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

My wife and I have owned and trained nine Labrador retrievers, always keeping multiple dogs in-house. She works as a veterinary tech. EVERY one of the five silver labs. they see at the clinic she works at, from breeders in-state and out-of-state has a bite warning attached to its file...we were just discussing one of her vets. getting bitten two nights ago at dinner. If you think they are worth the extra money, that is your call;rare colors do not have broad genetic pools to draw from in Labradors.

We currently have two Fox-red Irish line labs. We looked long and hard to find a breeder we trusted, with a history of producing sound dogs with good general temperments. I have owned two British line Labradors from Wildrose Kennels, both were not sound dogs.

Post WW-II the only yellow Labrador color was fox-red. They were repeatedly bred to select for the lighter shades that dominate the variety now here in the United States; one reason the vast majority of current Fox-reds are from British and/or Irish lines.

Here is one of the most balanced overviews of the two Labrador lines:
    https://pheasantsforever.org/BlogLa.../Bird-Dogs-American-Labs-vs-British-Labs.aspx

When someone tells me that British labs are show dog line Labradors, I smile and walk the other way immediately...
    On two occasions my dogs have actually air-scented ruffed grouse buried in the snow during the late season up here. In one of those instances Kane caught the bird briefly when it blew out of its form, I had to step-around Flynn when he broke, and let it clear the other dog before I killed it. I just noticed him suddenly get alert and his tail start to wag hard. HE swung into the wind with his nose up prior bounding off the trail into the snow in the clear-cut edge we were hunting. Flynn is 76lbs. at age two, and Kane is 84lbs, having just turned 4. They are both from the same cross, but different litters.

They are trained to both voice and whistle commands as well as hand signals for sit, stay, come/recall, over, and back. I use "leave it" as a swim-by command in the water, since it has other applications.

Doghouse 5 likes this.
  4. lefty421

lefty421

I know some gun dog sites don't even allow silver lab pups/litters to be advertised. For example, if you go to HuntingLabPedigree.com, you'll notice a warning on the litter announcement page that says no silver lab litters are allowed, they are removed immediately after being posted. Similarly, the main kennel clubs (AKC/UKC) will also not recognize any silver labs. You also will not find many (any?) hunting lab breeders offering them because of the same above issues. A silver can't be registered as a silver, so there aren't any silver labs with hunt test/trial/derby titles, so they aren't used in anybody's hunt breeding stock.

Now that's not to say any individual silver lab won't be a good hunter, as I'm sure they can be fine hunters. But there aren't any established hunting bloodlines of silvers that have achieved much in the sporting/hunting dog world.

And if you think about it, they've been selectively breed for what is essentially a defect, not because they were breeding the best dog to the best dog to get the best dog.... they are selectively breeding for a defect, not because they are good retrievers, markers, have good noses, are smart, etc.... but because of the color. Which many people believe is not genuine to begin with. (intro via weimaraner?)

5. craigrh13

craigrh13

I love my silver labs! They are great. 66A6B2D2-8AEE-46BF-B422-2E2CEDCFD551.jpeg

Sparky23, zimmzala, jabelism and 15 others like this.
  6. choc24/7

choc24/7

there are no such things as silver labs. its a cross and they suck for the breed. sorry to say it. if you respect the breed you will not encourage the breeding of these things. a couple vets i know say they lose their hair and the health cannot be trusted. and the respected trainers will not even accept them

Jimbos likes this.
  7. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Don't waste your time, he is just trolling around. I only think that because the little credit I can give him is that he can't possibly be this stupid.... but maybe I'm wrong.

Duck-Hunter likes this.
  8. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I'm duck hunting with a chihuahua before I die... :D

I took a collie with me more than once. Great dog, fully obedience trained, could walk him through a busy park with him carrying the leash in his mouth as nothing phased him. But you shot a bird and there was no interest what so ever in marking, retrieving, any of that. Held still when they were working, through the shot, after the shot. Was a complete non-event for him.

So when people say it's not the breed it's the training when a pit rips some kid apart, I have to call BS.

Spartan88 likes this.
  9. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I love my silver labs! They are great.

Those three look inbred.

Spartan88 likes this.
  10. craigrh13

craigrh13

They are great retrivers. The only issue I have is constantly wanting to play in the road and eat road kill.

Spartan88 likes this.
  11. ON ICE

ON ICE

Not a Chihuahua, but he loves hunting. As long as it isn't too cold out. He's not a big fan of swimming so directs the lab from the boat during retrieves.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

12. ajkulish

ajkulish

I got a lab/border collie, he does pretty well.

Attached Files:

Spartan88 and Lamarsh like this.
  13. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

That's cool. My niece has a labradoodle that loves the water, but has to walk into it from the ground. No docks, no steps, don't think about carrying him into the water.

14. cronkdre

cronkdre

I normally stay away from this topic because in my opinion there are a lot of idiots on both side of the silver lab debate. I have a 6 year old Charcoal lab (different shade of the silver but same concept).When I got her, she was my first hunting dog and I had no clue what I was getting into and what a hunt test was even about. Knowing what I know now, I would not get another one just because of the lack of hunting pedigrees and lack of health certs and responsible breedings.

Now with that being said and my personal experiences with owning one, I have been very fortunate and mine has turned into an excellent hunting dog and family dog. I put her on a training program, spent a ton of time working with her, and joined up with a few guys from a local HRC club. I got her to the point of where she was running with the finished level dogs and running master level set ups in training.

I work as a waterfowl guide and Kimber has picked up over 4000 wild shot birds in the last 5 years, not including training birds. That's a heck of a lot more birds than most guys dogs with top pedigrees will see in their lifetime. She meets hundreds of strangers in unfamiliar situations in the dark every single season while guiding and has never shown the least bit of agression (to the guy who says they all have bite warnings). She also has all of her hair contrary to another posters belief lol.

So... with all that said I have had a very postivie experience with MY charcoal lab and I wouldn't ask for anything more, however my next dog will NOT be a charcoal/silver. When dealing with an investment that I will have for 10+ years I want to stack the odds of getting a good one in my favor, and you simply are not doing that with a dog of unproven lines (no matter what the color is).

Sparky23, Doghouse 5, Lamarsh and 2 others like this.
  15. Spartan88

Spartan88

That is awesome!!! After my next pup this summer, I'm going the rescue dog route. All the dissn on silvers, I'll make it a silver chihuahua I think... :D