side by sides

Discussion in '4 Wheeling - ATVs' started by jfishbones, Apr 19, 2018.

1. jfishbones

jfishbones

I was thinking of buying a new ranger 570 full size but I keep reading that Polaris has some major quality issues and these things are in the shop all the time.
    Having never owned one I was hoping for some feedback from guys I trust here on MS.
    I am looking for something I can get 3 in but not too large. Primarily used for food plot work, hunting and occasional up north back roads / trail riding.
    Any suggestions / experiences are much appreciated.

jr28schalm likes this.
  2. Yamaha Viking will seat 3, or a Yamaha Wolverine X4 will seat 4. IMO both are of the highest quality fit and finish out here. Yamaha has the best clutch of any of them, and also has one of the best 4WD systems with their Full Diff Lock.

My Dad bought a new PoPo 570 two years ago and he's had to take it back into the shop to get worked on 3-4 times now. He is NOT happy about it either.

jfishbones likes this.

3. Scottygvsu

Scottygvsu

I've only heard horror stories about anything Polaris. I don't have any first hand experience with them though. I have spent quite a bit of time in other manufacturers SXS's.
    Are you looking for a work machine or to go fast? If you're after a workhorse, I'd suggest a Kawasaki Mule or Kubota UTV diesel. They'll pull a small set of discs and have ample cargo space. The downside is they are agonizingly slow for trail riding.
    On the trail ready side, the Yamaha's are good rigs as Grizz said. Unlike the Arctic cat and Teryx, you can carry on a conversation as you ride. The others have too much engine noise in the cockpit.
    I would suggest larger than 570cc if your budget allows. That's a little light for food plot implements.

4. rdm429

rdm429 Premium Member

Whatever you are interested in do a google search of reviews and problems,a lot of your polaris sxs are made in mexico now.

jfishbones likes this.
  5. jfishbones

jfishbones

thanks guys,
    I have a tractor for the heavy work / tilling so mostly for just pulling a cultipacker and sprayer.
    So something for hunting / medium work and yet still be able to go on the trails. Some of the 4 seaters are way to big for getting around in the woods doing work. I like the pioneer 700-4, drove one the other day but not sure about the 3 speed transmission and no turf mode but like the ability to seat 4 with a shorter wheel base.
    I drove a new mule pro fxr and they are nice but 13,800 otd for a 3 seater seems high.
    I like the wolverine, if it came in a bench I would probably buy one.

6. kingfisher 11

kingfisher 11

I have a 2015 900 XP Polaris SxS. The only problem I have had is I don't drive it enough. When it sits a long time it runs rough until is warms up or the old gas gets through the system.
    The thing is a beast. Riding the hills of Antrim county I have had three large adult men, 200# feed, bows guns and portable stands in the back. It goes right up those large hills without missing a beat. Always starts for me on the ice no matter how cold it is.
    I have owned three different Polaris sportsman. Never a issue with any of them either.
    I think it just comes down to your preference. I went with Polaris due to the ride.

jr28schalm likes this.
  7. bad dog

bad dog

I've got a lightly used 2014 Honda 700-4 that has been problem free. I don't have personal experience with other SxS's. The three speed trans is fine unless you want a 'go fast' unit. It's an automotive style trans so there's no belt to wear out. It tops out around 40mph. Newer models have improved suspension and I think also paddle shifters so you can pick shift points. Turf mode would be a nice feature if you will be riding on sod. Tight radius turns are hard on lawns. I think turf mode comes on the 1000 but then you start getting into higher price points. If you're going to be plowing, power steering is a nice option. Hauling and towing with the 700 is good. I've heard some guys using tilling implements have had to reinforce trailer hitches. I've never ridden in the back seats, but haven't had complaints from friends who have.

mattawanhunter and jfishbones like this.
  8. sNeAkYpEtE11

sNeAkYpEtE11

I have a 2016 Polaris ranger 570 full-size and I love it. I drove the Honda and Yamaha and wasn’t s fan of either. They are a little to sporty for me, I do very little trail riding and 99% of the time the machine is working. Fits 3 when the time calls, and it works like a boss. I plow a 1200’ driveway all winter and it pushes snow like a truck, and we get a lot of lake effect snow. I pull a drag and a disk with it no problem. Havnt had a single issue except for I snapped the winch cable this winter. Easy fix. I know people like to rag on Polaris but the brand has always been reliable for me. If you look hard enough you can find leftover Honda pioneers for a song right now. Lastly my only regret was not getting power steering. It’s a bear to turn in 4x4. I won’t buy another machine without that feature

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

9. jfishbones

jfishbones

Thanks

I sat in the back seats and while not too bad it was a little tight and I would not want to be back there for a long drive.
    I think the back seats are perfect for anyone under 5'8 and less than 200lb or kids.

10. jfishbones

jfishbones

thanks

I was going to pull the trigger on an 18 570 full size, $9500 otd, but they dont offer a power steering option in the full size, only the mid and its like a $1700 upgrade, way more than other brands.

11. jfishbones

jfishbones

Do any viking owners complain about the high pitch whining / engine noise at top speed? They seemed very loud and was wondering if it was just the one I was driving

12. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

Those small back seats are the reason I got a 2017 Terxy4 last year. I looked hard at the Pioneer 1000. The engine noise in my Teryx is half of what my Rhino was. Plus the Rhino was a POS (junk clutching, horrible air filter intake design). Traded it for the Teryx after it started consuming oil again.

Rangers get a bad rap, because a lot of guys can't seem to put the air filter and cover on correctly, which burns up the motor. My Teryx has the air filter up front under the hood, which helps keep it clean.

jfishbones likes this.
  13. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

I would never own one again without power steering. I would test drive them both before making a decision.

kingfisher 11 likes this.
  14. I had a 2005 Yamaha Rhino and it was a tank. It would go through almost anything. Never had a problem with it, but I did my own maintenance "regularly" and that really helps. It was loud and hot on the inside, but it never let me down. Keep in mind it was the "1st" sport utility SXS and they've come a long way in 14 years since they were introduced. I had it for 10 years until a local Meth-head stole it right out of my driveway while we were inside sleeping. :mad:

I now have a 2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS and it's AMAZING! It is SO much more refined than my old Rhino. Last week I rode the Hatfield McCoy trails in WV and it handled everything I tried. It has power steering, EFI, KYB reservoir shocks, and a new motor with way more torque. I rode with 2 CanAms, 4 PoPs, and a Yamaha Viking. By the end of the trip my "little" 708cc had earned the respect of everybody. I was able to outclimb "everybody" in our group, including two 1000cc's and one 900cc PoPo.

I was also impressed at what the Viking did. It made me wonder if I bought the right Yamaha. They both have a clutch whine to them. But the new Wolverine X4 is supposed to be super quiet. From what you've described, and from what I've experienced, I think the Viking would satisfy your criteria as good or better than anything else out there.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  15. jfishbones

jfishbones

Thanks Grizz, I called around to several places today and nobody seems to have any vikings, I was told that Yamaha did not make enough for the demand this year.
    Right now Yamaha is offering a winch and bracket and 3 year warranty with the vikings.
    Anyone know a large viking dealer around between Lansing and Flint?