Sick fox

Discussion in 'Wildlife Diseases' started by Mark4486, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Mark4486

Mark4486

IMG_0814.PNG IMG_0815.PNG Found this fox today with my dog at one or our favorite rabbit haunts. It was having a seizure when I stumbled on to him I sat and waited for animal control to show and watched him. He hung around very zombie like and had one more seizure in the time I waited. Right before animal control arrived he slowly walked into the woods I didn't follow because I really didn't know what to do. I tried to upload the video of his behavior but it won't work. So maybe these pictures of how close I was able to get will suffice. Animal control watched the videos and said he probably had diphtheria. Felt real bad for him.

itchn2fish likes this.
  2. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

If it was a sick animal, I would have dispatched the animal. Not only would that have possibly prevented further spread of the problem but it would have provided valuable information. I killed a coyote once that came into the yard which had both rabies and mange. That was one very sick animal.

itchn2fish likes this.

3. Mark4486

Mark4486

I was in a wooded area in a residential area I'm not sure if I would be allowed to or not plus I don't carry. But I get your point the idea ran across my head but I didn't have the means nor know the law on something like this so I just called the fuzz.

itchn2fish likes this.
  4. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

I think that rabies is another potential disease from the symptoms you describe.
    <----<<<

itchn2fish likes this.
  5. birdhntr

birdhntr

Distemper is high.Possibly has it.My chiropractor said he has found a few dead ones by his place a couple years ago.He spoke with a vet that advised him to dig a 5 foot hole throw the fox and the clothes your wearing in it and bury it and walk away.Found a coon like that once the behavior was similar to what you described. The animal control guy said it was distemper most likely.did you notice watery eyes.Was he acting tired(lethargic)?

itchn2fish likes this.
  6. Mark4486

Mark4486

Yeah real tired kept nodding off... actually found the body a couple weeks later close to wear I found him didn't want to mess with him as I had my dog with me.

itchn2fish likes this.