Sick deer

Discussion in 'Wildlife Diseases' started by Jay1977, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Jay1977

Jay1977

Anyone know why a deer would have crap from tail to hooves. Looks awful it is a button buck. Had 2-3 die last year up by barns and house. Just wondered if anyone had experience with this situation. Have a high deer concentration but don’t know if this is deer starving or what. Really skinny

Attached Files:

2. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Interesting that that you had 2-3 die near the barns last year. Coming in to a bird feeder ? Time of year ? Doubt starving is the cause of this deer to have diarrhea.

L & O

3. Jay1977

Jay1977

Same time last year no bird feeder

4. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Are they eating alot of corn ?

5. Jay1977

Jay1977

No

6. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Eating lots of turnips this time of year can cause the runs but i never found any dead .

7. Jay1977

Jay1977

Called dnr they didn’t know they were gonna shoot it but no clear shot they said if it dies they’ll test it and just call them. Lots of deer in area I’ve counted 1-200 before. So don’t know if it’s competition and he’s not getting enough and dying not sure

8. Waif

Waif

Banging gears in diet can cause the runs.
    Barn might make a good wind break ,or just less compitition near it. Have watched bitter weather deer along one before.
    Last years dead may,or may not have anything to do with this years.
    If the D.N.R. kills one and studies it ,hopefully some answers would come of it.
    Could be a disagreeable type forage causing it beyond just the change in diet.
    I have killed a couple deer that were not grooming well and had crap on their hinds.
    Other than bunting pressure stress they seemed fine,with greens in their bellies in Nov./ Dec..Not easy for the Dec. one to aquire.

9. Jay1977

Jay1977

I hear ya just freaks me out with all the diseases going around our state. I do qdma and hate to see my hard work destroyed because we are getting great deer the past decade. I’m the guy that plants the food plots and a big variety of crops so don’t think they had a bad winter. Just don’t know. Love to show someone if they had a idea what I’m dealing with up here in the thumb

10. Waif

Waif

Yes. Wanting to know the heath conditions of the deer you are with/ near is a big part of the interest.

Keep an eye on em. They' re tough critters ,but some things can overwhelm them.
    I have not seen much sign of runny stuff last fall ,and this spring.
    Used to see it around bait sites years back though. Only guessed it was diet related.