Should I have called animal control?

Discussion in 'Wildlife Diseases' started by PITBULL, Jul 27, 2009.

1. PITBULL

PITBULL

I was leaving the house yesterday morning, As I walked out on the back porch I saw something go under the steps, I went back in the house and grabbed a .22. When I came back out a raccoon was in my driveway. It wandered around the corner of the house into the backyard. As I approched it, it did not run away, It had a clear path to the woods behind our yard, Instead it stopped and turned towards me. I shot it once and It walked into the dog house between Him and I. where I dispatched it. I was going to call animal control but was concerned about them finding out that I had discharged a weapon in the neighborhood. Do you think I should have called them anyway?

2. Hunt4Ever

Hunt4Ever

3. PITBULL

PITBULL

The wife called me at work, She said that she saw another racoon in the drive of the DPW
    just sitting there about 8:00 tonight. It watched her then slowly walked away.
    Is it normal for them to be out during daylight hours and acting lethargic like this? I dont think its normal.

4. thanis

thanis

If you TCB, IMO, don't complicate matters. Not suggesting you do anything illegal.

If I were you, at this point, I would contact animal control. Don't add in extra information about the past. Just, I've observed two racoons with X behavior.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  5. Liv4Huntin'

Liv4Huntin'

Any update on these? Perhaps they may suggest a live trap to 'check' them...... ?
    ~m~

6. gogoman

gogoman

My sister does the wildlife rehab with coons, in the past two years there have been many litters put down because of distemper,in my opinion you did the right thing.

7. It is difficult to believe just how many are around. I know of one farmer who got 28 coons and figured he had thinned them a bit but was still coming up missing a lot of shelled corn. He has a renter living where he has some cattle and the renter called him one afternoon and said there were 12 more in his yard right then. Wow! 28 down and 12 to go. Talk about pests.

8. snowman11

snowman11

I would have. It doesn't cost you money, and it's piece of mind.

Rabies can be transmitted by the spray of blood following a gunshot.

If they ask how you dispatched, you live trapped and drove it to your buddies farm to dispatch.

9. TrackerCasey

TrackerCasey

My Sister-in-law shot one a few years ago as it was trying to attack her kenneled German Shepard the answer she got was "Bury it deep"

10. Back in the day when we put out deer feed ... we would have a dozen at least at the feeder...big FAT ones. During the day.
    Here is an article on coons and rabies

http://www.jwildlifedis.org/cgi/reprint/35/4/687.pdf

They are destructive creatures! Killing and eating the heads off of poultry, getting into the trash....

11. Ieatantlers

Ieatantlers Banned

A few years ago my dad was watching tv and randomly a neighbor kid (3 or 4) came running through our front door. He was yelling that a dog was chasing him. My dad looks outside, and here is a big fat coon in the middle of the day running around our front yard. I loaded up the .22 and found it behind my neighbors. It acted much like the coon you described did. It didn't show fear and started towards me (though not running). I dispatched it there and buried it as deep as I could. Maybe I should have called animal control, but what benefit would that have? I would say the animal was already 'in control'. I buried it as deep as I could, end of story.

12. petercandid

petercandid Guest

Hi PITBULL,

Well,It depends on the conditions regarding the animals. Yes, you can called it a animal control.No, this is normal procedure as there is no need to be lethargic in process. Keep the observation and routine for the work.

Thanks

13. JohnD4980

JohnD4980

I live around quite a few in our area. The behavior there seems normal yet what you did was also normal, nothing wrong with it at all. They are wild and can carry rabies, etc. Calling animal control is not a bad idea if it continues.

14. Mitchell Ulrich

Mitchell Ulrich

Sounds like normal coon behavior to me.
    Also a normal course of action as well.

15. jrodrick4

jrodrick4

I think you should have called them.