Should AirBows Be Legal in Michigan? Are They Accurate Enough? Watch this Video!

Discussion in 'Air Guns' started by UpNorthAirGunner, May 19, 2018.

1. UpNorthAirGunner

UpNorthAirGunner

If you have been following Michigan HB5180 work through the legislative process here in Michigan and have been wondering if this new technology will be accurate enough for ethical deer hunting - you need to check this out!

So we finally got out with the Air Venturi Air Bolt system for the AirForce Texan. This kit is amazingly accurate and POWERFUL! At 550 feet per second - we were slinging 375 grain air bolts into the backstop and the only way we could stop them from going through anything and everything we put in front of them was to back up a ways. When I say we backed up a bit - I mean like 150 yards. Well... while we are out this far, let's try hitting a AirGunDepot.com Long Ranger Golf Ball! NAILED IT BABY!!!!

TriggerDiscipline and Petronius like this.
  2. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

Yes accurate enough to hunt but the question is which season?

3. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

The bill says any season where a firearm is legal. Maybe it was noted and I missed it, the 450’ rule would be in effect.

4. Wolverick

Wolverick

I have dreaded the day ever since I first learned about these things. The nearly perfect poaching weapon they should be legal only during firearms season, for deer. The bill is as it should be, treat them like the gun they are.

YAKFish#1 and Drake like this.
  5. UpNorthAirGunner

UpNorthAirGunner

Can you clarify how this would be any more of a weapon of choice for poachers vs. a crossbow or any other archery equipment?

YAKFish#1, sureshot006 and jr9912 like this.
  6. Wolverick

Wolverick

It functions as a gun but there is no powder so a poacher could shoot a deer with it then exchange the air bow for a legal bow. There is no way for a CO to prove the deer was shot with an illegal weapon. This tactic is one tried many times by poachers. Fortunately there is powder residue left on the deer from the shot so it`s easy for law enforcement to detect.

Don`t misunderstand me. I am not opposed to the people being able to own and use these guns. I just see potential for abuse by some. That should never preclude the rest of us from having access.

Drake and JAA like this.
  7. 42bars

42bars

These airbows are loud. They are much louder than a suppressed rifle. So don't be worried about the airbow, worry about suppressed weapons for poaching. So, let's face it, if poaching is going to happen there is nothing we can do about it but turn in everyone we see doing it.

YAKFish#1 and TriggerDiscipline like this.
  8. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

Yeah, they'll need their own season. An maybe a special spear only season. And a slingshot season. :(

YAKFish#1 likes this.
  9. ART

ART

what a bunch of whiners-like it will affect your hunting in any way shape or form....

10. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

The only problem I see is some [email protected]$$ will be heading to the woods with his crossman 177 cal. That he just bought from Wally World,Trying to kill a deer.

jr28schalm and TriggerDiscipline like this.
  11. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

With the way things are going why be worried about an "air bow"? I think I said a few years back we will soon be allowed to use the firearm described in the thirty point buck song.

12. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

If they want to make them legal for the firearms season that is fine. It is time to end crap being added to the bow season.

Drake and stickbow shooter like this.
  13. OnHoPr

OnHoPr

I think I remember something about an aluminum arrow in a .410 shell with the shot taken out of it back in the 80s in the NELP for bow hunting.

sureshot006 likes this.
  14. ART

ART

how would you even know if I used one? How does it affect you?

15. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

I want to reduce the number of bow hunters. An air bow is essentially a firearm and should be treated as such. Michigan makes far too many concessions to bow hunters, and this should not be expanded.

stickbow shooter likes this.