close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shotgun opinions

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by SFC(R) B, Dec 5, 2017.

1. SFC(R) B

SFC(R) B

For hunting I have borrowed Benelli SBEs and a Supernova. I have also shot an 870 several times but wasn't a huge fan. Loved the SBEs but just can't justify that money for something I will hunt wit a few times a year. The SN I used felt good and I limited on Canada's with it. The 3.5s didn't hurt me. My biggest reason for going with a 3.5 chambered gun is the versatility of knowing that I can chamber and use any 12ga shell in a pinch

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  2. goose schatt

goose schatt

Winchester sx3 is a great gun

Far Beyond Driven likes this.

3. eye-sore

eye-sore

If your not beating up your gun you aint hunting enough. Wreck it buy a new one

ajkulish likes this.
  4. Bigeejakes

Bigeejakes

More than anything - get a gun that fits, or can be made to fit. I have to put an adjustable comb on almost any shotgun I shoot to get them to fit (High cheek bones)... but a correctly fitting, reliable shotgun will break more targets and kill more birds than a $15000 Kolar that doesn't fit worth a damn.

If you don't know if a shotgun correctly fits or not:
    I love this video from Larry Potterfield

Burksee, jfn, Shlwego and 3 others like this.
  5. Wolverine423

Wolverine423

I think what he is saying in a diplomatic way, from reading your impute is that you apparently don't know shat about shotguns, just say'n....

michiganoutdoorsman likes this.
  6. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

What's cool about America, is that you can buy whatever shotgun you please. (Semi auto of course).

Shoot a few, find one that fits your grip and posture etc. purchase. Learn to take care of it even if you beat it to piss you should take it home and care for it like its brand new.

Maybe even purchase another, can never have to many guns.

Just don't tell your wife and always use the same gun case ;) she will never know

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

7. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

I've been behind the trigger for 18 seasons now, never once has my gun been submerged. I've been stuck in the worst muck, never once thought about sticking my gun in it. I've had to crawl out of my waders. Taking something thats narrow and sticking it in the mud will accomplish one thing, making you have to scrub it when you get home. Here's a tip, when stuck full heel up, toe down. So many people want to pull straight up. All that does is make your other leg sink more.

We as waterfowlers put our gear through the wringer, no doubt about that. Up until this season I've been able to hunt just about every day. When my gun is uncased I've had people say "now if that gun could talk!" she ain't pretty, internally it shines. Years ago I dropped $1500 on it. It is a tool and it's used often but it's taken care of. Take care of your gun and it'll take care of you. Never had a single issue with my SBE2. I see guys posting how they neglect their firearm like it's some kind of point they don't clean it. That's pure laziness and those are the guys that wonder why their gun failed them. I clean the bore 1-3 times a week. Stripped completey 2x a month unless I'm hunting around sand it's stripped that night.

If and when my gun fails, Im sure I will feel a little let down but I'll fix it. That thing has some high mileage on it, bound to fail eventually. If not awesome! That's why this spring I'm overhauling it. I love it and plan on handing it down one day or keeping it until the day they chuck me in a hole.

Jim58 likes this.
  8. Chromelander

Chromelander

What's everyone's opinion on the stoeger m3500? Basspro has them on sale for $575 regularly $700.

davewcrook and dpweurding like this.
  9. John Singer

John Singer

If you go with the Benelli Supernova, you may find this video useful to you to custom fit the gun.

10. dpweurding

dpweurding

Not sure about the 3500 but I have the 3000 (3" version). I really like the gun. I think I got it for $425 or something like that. Serves my purpose for a waterfowl gun.

11. ajkulish

ajkulish

Diplomatic way huh? You mean from his soapbox?

Me dumb dumb. Shotgun go bang bang. All i know.

You guys crack me up. Im very glad you have been fortunate enough to not drop your gun in the water. Yes, i know how to pull my feet up. But when its up past your knees, and you can get some leverage, you take it.

People saying you cant put your gun through more than its intended is just like saying that your truck cant be driven on anything but asphalt if it doesnt have the z71 or FX-4 sticker.

The people who design these guns know the environment that they are in, what some of the common mistakes are, and the common failure modes. They design guns to take a beating because 99% of us arent as lucky as those piping up in this thread, and sometimes your your gun gets soaked whether it be from heavy rain or submersion (I'm sure someone will try to tell me there is a difference) and sometimes your gun gets dirty. But it is a machine, and every process in that machine is made to function in less than ideal conditions.

Now i am sure some of you heard "I love to take my gun out and use it for a ton of ****, i dont even bother with a kayak paddle anymore, and now i can walk through deep mud because my gun can help get me out, you have no idea what youre missing". What i actually said is that things happen, and most of those things are not things that will ruin your gun. I clean my gun very very often, and it has yet to fail me. zero cycle failures or misfires. You can believe the inside shines. If my mechanical engineering education taught me one thing, its that mechanical things will always function if clean, well oiled, and don't have broken parts.

12. The Reel Slacker

The Reel Slacker

NEVER buy a new Remington. Went out this am, first shot it broke........again! Just got it back from gunsmith, hunted two days before today. Model 1187, effin piece of s*#$!!!!! I was taught to take care of my guns, cleaned after every hunt, fired or not, stripped down 3-4 times a year for REAL good cleaning. Extractors, links, slide assembly, firing pin, interceptor latch, the list goes on. BTW gun is for sale, dirt cheap!!!!!!

jsbowman likes this.
  13. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

I'll take it. How much, I'll gamble with that thing I have many Remington shotguns.

Model 31 is a tank.

My Remington and V3 Both have had HUNDREDS and hundreds and cases and cases of shells cycled and zero problems.

Not exaggerating, zero.

The 1187 has its problems, they bounced back with 2 very nice tools later, thank god.

And The 1100 is notably one of the most reliable autoloading shotguns ever made. Like the 870. Some of the best skeet shooters swear by their 1100.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

14. The Reel Slacker

The Reel Slacker

Been a Remington guy my whole life. Two 1100's, never a problem. 870 from'85, never a problem. New ones are junk. I have spent more money fixing that 1187 than it cost me. Absolutely love that 1187 until it breaks and wrecks my hunt. At first thought maybe 3.5's were too much for gun, but doesn't matter. Breaks shooting 3's just as often. Should have bought the berretta!

15. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

Don't let that 1187 leave a sour taste in your mouth take my word on in the new autoloaders are worth every penny

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app