close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shotgun opinions

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by SFC(R) B, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

I see Remington still makes the 870 in the wingmaster. I think the 870 express is junk, but I think the old wingmaster were pretty nice. Anyone know if the current build carrys the torch well?

2. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

My Beretta A400 really is soft on my shoulder. I use it when I am hunting geese. I shoot my 20ga 90% of the time on ducks now.

TNL likes this.

3. TNL

TNL

I have an A400 as well. It's my go to. Very comfortable to shoot.

4. SteelShot

SteelShot

I️ have had a Super nova for about five years that I️ won at a DU event. It shoots great and I’ve never had an issue with it. I️ don’t use it all the time because I️ usually hunt with a 11-87 super mag that has also served me well for about 15 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I have done much, over the past couple of years, to save what's left of my shoulder. I now only shoot "gas guns", they are softer than all others. I shoot a Weatherby SA-08 20GA and and the A400 12GA. I no longer shoot 3.5" shells.

I like have two shotguns, it's always good to have a back up in case of a problem. Most of the time the A400 is my backup.

IF I could only have one, it would be the A400.

6. duckbuster2

duckbuster2

You want a pump nothing is better then a 870 if it fits you.

goose schatt and Tonypro like this.
  7. John Singer

John Singer

Some of the advice that I offer you will be contrary to what others here have offered. Take it as you see fit.

First, if you really want a new pump, there are a number of good choices.

Gun Choice:
    The Benelli Supernova is a good gun. Realize that the gun comes with a shim kit and you will likely need to pattern the gun and adjust the shims so that it shoots well for you. Realize that Italian guns tend to have what is known as a "skinny" bore. The internal bore diameter is about 0.004-0.005" smaller than most American guns. Such guns may run with higher pressure and may result in slightly higher felt recoil than other guns.

Understand fully that a 3.5" gun offers both some advantages and disadvantages over 3" guns. 3.5" shells often have a higher shot payload than 3" shells. The advantage that I have observed is that it is easier to achieve dense, killing patterns over smaller payloads. However this advantage comes with a significant price. First the shells cost more but more importantly the felt recoil is significantly higher. Anybody who knows much about shooting will tell you that there is nothing positive that you receive from felt recoil. The same killing patterns can be achieved with proper choking and load selection with 3" and 2 3/4" shells.

The Nova, seems "clunky" and poorly balanced to me but many really like it. Some other pumps that you should consider include the Remington 870, Remington 887, Winchester SXP, Browning BPS, Stoeger, etc. As I stated above do not be afraid to consider a gun with a 3" chamber. Many of these are excellent guns. Some have back bored and chrome lined barrels and all are compatible with steel shot. Fondle many guns and pick one out that you really like.

Abusing Firearms
    Some have stated that they use their guns as a boat paddle, or a walking stick or drop it in the water several times a season. Others have stated that they rarely, if ever, clean their guns. Do any of you remember when these practices were taught in Hunter Safety Classes? Neither do I.

I use a boat paddle or oars to manually propel my boats. I rarely use a walking stick, and I do not want to hunt with somebody who regularly drops his firearm in the water.

I highly recommend against all of these and I would be suspect of advice coming from somebody who advocates such use of firearms.

Realize that there exists no manufacturer who prints a firearm owner's manual that states: "We recommend mistreating your new firearm and then spraying it full of oil in hopes of keeping it working."

Take care of your new gun. It should last you a lifetime and be something that you may wish to pass on to children or grandchildren. Wipe it dry when you get the opportunity and take it out of the case to allow it to dry.

Purchase a good quality floating gun case to protect your gun. Get one with a full length zipper. That way when you place a wet gun in it, you can open it to dry it out when you get home.

The Importance of Practice
    Whichever gun you purchase, I recommend that you save/set aside at least $200/year for clay target shooting. With this money, you can purchase 2 cases of target rounds for your new gun. Rodgers, Cabelas, Dunhams, and even your local Walmart all regularly sell quality target ammo for ~$50 for a 10 box case. Purchase at least two cases. Then spend the rest of the money and some time shooting skeet or sporting clays at your local ranges. The best hunters that I have ever met are regular skeet and sporting clay shooters.

For somewhere around $200-$250 bucks, you will accomplish the following.
    1. You will enjoy it and get to know the operation of your new shotgun.
    2. You will meet new people and may make new friends.
    3. You will develop the hand/eye/muscle coordination to effectively engage moving targets with a shotgun.
    4. You will probably shoot better next season than most people that you hunt with.

Understand that most hunters rarely, if ever practice. At this time, it is difficult to become highly skilled by just hunting. Shots at ducks and geese are just not that common. Time spent on the range will allow you to be a more confident and competent wing shot than probably 80-90% of the people that are out hunting. Many of them shoot like they are recent graduates of the Hellen Keller School of Wing shooting.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    jfn, Shlwego, TheCrawdad and 2 others like this.
  8. The Reel Slacker

The Reel Slacker

Been shooting Remingtons since I was twelve years old, owning an 870, 2 1100s, and bought an 1187 Super Mag 8 years ago. The newer 1187 is junk for the most part. Love the way it shoots and handles, but ends up at gunsmith twice a year every season. Never had to fix anything on the older Rems. They have gone the route of so many other things, make them cheaper and sell them for more. Will never buy a new Remington again, but would search out an older model.

ON ICE likes this.
  9. JBooth

JBooth

I understand my treatment of a duck gun in the field. I stayed away from expensive guns because I knew what i would put it through. Went Nova and never looked back. That gun cannot be killed.

eye-sore likes this.
  10. Sampsons_owner

Sampsons_owner

What guns have you been borrowing and how did you like them?

My son shoots a super nova I won at a DU event and loves it. Started shooting 3 1/2" 2's last year and just ordered a case of them. I shoot an older Maxus I bought used. No issues and I like the dura touch. I shoot a Beretta a300 outlander and like it too. Steve

11. Neubys

Neubys

My advice would be go and pick up every gun on the shelf to see which one fits you the best! Don't get caught up in the brand or model. If it does not feel comfortable you will not like it and that will always be nagging at you with every miss.

Then after you find a couple that fit weigh out the bells & whistles Vs. budget. Once you made your purchase get to the range and start practicing a lot!

Outdoor Gal likes this.
  12. Outdoor Gal

Outdoor Gal

There are a lot of good guns out there and everybody has their favorite. Take the time to find a gun that fits you in your price range. An ill fitting gun is just frustrating, you'll miss more and wonder why. Then take that new gun and hit the skeet range and practice, practice, practice.

Don't be afraid to look at the used rack either. I shoot an older Winchester 1300 pump that's been modified to fit me (I'm a short girl. Lol). I love it, it's action is super smooth, I shoot it well, and when it did take a dip in the Shiawassee mud and clay this season it still worked flawlessly. Not sure some autos would have.

I shot a 3 1/2" goose load once. I had a headache for the next two days. Lol. I hunt geese a lot and 3" BB works just fine and it's a lot cheaper.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

The Reel Slacker and John Singer like this.
  13. eye-sore

eye-sore

I have heard REM OIL brought up a few times lately......i would caution anybody that hunts in sub freezing temps to be careful with it.it gums up when it gets cold and can create a headache.i had to put a half gallon of coleman lantern fuel thru my nova to clean it out after using rem oil. Threw the can away and now stick with ol trusty wd40 or hoppes no 9

14. ajkulish

ajkulish

So youve never dropped your gun in the water? Youve never accidentally dropped your only paddle when floating down a creek with good current? Youve never gotten your legs stuck in the mud and needed some leverage to get yourself out?

Sometimes, **** happens. And sometimes, your gun may be the only thing that can help you out of a sketchy situation.

I know im sure as hell not gonna let myself continue to drift down stream or let myself remain stuck in mud because im afraid of getting my gun dirty.

Give me a break.

15. goose schatt

goose schatt

I'm not a fan of their autoloaders but there is no denying the greatness of the 870