close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shotgun opinions

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by SFC(R) B, Dec 5, 2017.

1. SFC(R) B

SFC(R) B

I am a newbie when it comes to waterfowl hunting (I have hunted geese out here about 5 times) and have been borrowing guns from the folks I have tagged along with. I want to get my own this year and am looking for a good 3.5 capable pump. Right now a Benelli SuperNova is the front runner....looking for opinions on this gun and other options.

2. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Most pump shotguns will do you well. I am not all that sure that 3.5" is as important as it once was. Mainly you should get what you can afford, make sure it fits, and shoot it a lot before the next season.

3. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

Everyone will tell you exactly what they shoot and why it's the best.

So I will to: Remington versamax, fairly affordable and very reliable

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

roger15055 and rcleofly like this.
  4. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

I will also say for geese it's hard to argue against more bb's in a pattern with 3 1/2

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

PA BUCK 2 likes this.
  5. ajkulish

ajkulish

Dont get the supernova. My buddy bought one last year to be his duck gun, and he has yet to kill a duck with it. It always jams for some reason, unless you just douse it in oil every time you go out. IMO, just get an 870. I have an H&R Pardner pump (200 bucks) that has served me very well as a duck killer, kayak paddle, and walking stick. Plus having a cheap gun makes you not feel bad when you drop it in the mud or water. Considering you are new to the sport, you will be doing this in the near future. Food for thought.

John Pelfrey and don novicki like this.
  6. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

Thumbs up to the 870 super mag in synthetic. But you may as well come up with few Hundo and get the V3

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

jrose likes this.
  7. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I don't shoot BB's, I shoot #2's or #3's. I use a skeet choke as well. I just don't shoot over 35 yards, NO problem, other than my shooting is degrading as my cataracts get worse.

I have not even fired a 3.5" shell in 3 or 4 years.

8. eye-sore

eye-sore

I been shooting a benelli nova since it came out. My gun has been thru hell and back.i have no complaints. I clean it maybe once a year.no case in the boat, drop it under water bout 5 times a year and she still peels em. Ill be buying another if this one takes a crap on me. The jamming referred to earlier is prob due to accidentally pushing the button on pump that allows you to remove chambered shell without kicking one out of tube.great for when geese are coming and ya wanna throw the big stick in.buy one

AaronJohn likes this.
  9. eye-sore

eye-sore

Oh yea and ive probably cleaned my gun 5 times since ive owned it

dg17 likes this.
  10. ajkulish

ajkulish

I agree on the v3 Aaron, but I think a pump gun is better to start with. I have shot semis but I would tend to rush my follow up shots. The pump makes you reset a bit between each shot, and that makes me more productive. Though I am sure I'll succumb to the auto loader eventually, but learning with a pump has made me love the pump.

And I'm glad you had luck with your Nova, I have minimal experience with them but they just seem so much more bulky than I am used to, and it requires a noticeable increase in effort to rack a shell vs my H&R

Also, his racking issues were not so simple. His gun has shredded the brass on several shells just from racking. Shells get caught in the teeth, or the get stuck in the barrel. Super sketchy.

11. TheCrawdad

TheCrawdad Premium Member

I bought an 870 super mag from WalMart for $336 brand new earlier this year. Synthetic/camo version. I have absolutely no complaints. It works every time, and the geese are dead when they hit the water. I'm sure there are nicer shotguns but for banging around the swamp, I'm satisfied with it.

12. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Most pumps out there are dependable. They are all hard on the shoulder compared to a semi-auto. That is something else to think about.

13. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

I really think that's something people need to get over... I don't mean to sound all alpha macho meat heat but..

It's just a 12 gauge, we ARE waterfowlers aren't we... we endure worse. Maybe I've been shooting a long time but the recoil is the last thing I consider if at all.

Do I think a light load helps drop your double or triple? Yeah it can help get on target, but the pattern density out of a 12 3 1/2 takes the cake for lethality and if you practice and can anticipate recoil you can do just as well dropping that 3rd flared bird at 35 yards.

(Inside 20 yards sure you don't needs 3.5s)

And unless you're under 120 pounds maybe you should shoot a 20.

Just my thoughts, not yours. All due respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

ajkulish likes this.
  14. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I shoot a 20GA most of the time.

I never used to consider recoil either, until my shoulder started to go bad, in part due to the cumulative damage of all those thousands of shots over the years. Everything catches up.

I am not arguing, just pointing out other considerations to think about.

Like this: you can increase pattern density by shooting smaller shot. I can do just fine with 2's, a 3" shell, inside 35 yards, and see no reason to shoot beyond that range.

Again, just pointing out there are other schools of thought.

Each can decide for themselves.

15. michiganoutdoorsman

michiganoutdoorsman

Get what you can afford. 3.5” is not a game changer no matter what people say. Most people I know don’t bother with them. I have one buddy who fumbles around changing shells when geese are flying and I think it’s ridiculous. Keep your shots close and it won’t matter, 3.5” shells aren’t these magical shells that work wonders. Stick with Browning, Benelli, or Beretta and you’re on the right track! Winchester is pretty solid also.

Outdoor Gal likes this.