Shorts

Discussion in 'Michigan Micro Brewery forum' started by birdistheword, Dec 31, 2016.

1. birdistheword

birdistheword

Short's soft parade is the best darn woman's beer I have ever tasted. I saw it on a menu at the grotto and it was listed under fruit beers lol. Tried one of the wifes at home and I was hooked. Do yourself a favor and buy a sixer if you like a strong ale with a slight berry finish.

2. frenchriver1

frenchriver1 Mr. Flatfish Premium Member

3. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    Isn't it like 8%?

I'm a Bellaire Brown guy, and have had a few Soft Parades, but Shorts overall a tad weird for my tastes.

4. UnknwnBanditRowdyTucoRojo

UnknwnBanditRowdyTucoRojo

Tried Soft Parade once. It was good but beers on the sweet side are not really my thing. Short's Huma Lupalicious is my favorite 'hoppy' beer, but prefer Bell's Best Brown Ale to Bellaire Brown. Granted, I only bought Bellaire Brown once and maybe got a wonky case so I should give it one more chance. Otherwise in general, like Bells, I believe Shorts can do no wrong.

Jimbos likes this.
  5. alex-v

alex-v

Huma Lupa Licious is good and I buy a 6 every now and then. The rest of them are weird. It seems like they have a habit of experimenting and most of them do not work. Youngest daughter's husband likes most of their beers, though.

For variety and out of the ordinary tastings I will see what Odd Sides has to offer.

6. hypox

hypox

Best Brown Ale is really good. Now I'm going to have to stop in to Bell's today and grab one.

7. Stand By

Stand By

Bellaire brown is one of my regulars. Soft parade is nice out on the water in the summer, but ya gotta be careful, it can be sneaky.

Richard Cranium and Jimbos like this.
  8. Nitro225Optimax

Nitro225Optimax

I was introduced to Soft Parade about 3 years ago and it was great, but it's worn out and jumped the shark for me. Yeah, it provides a great buzz quickly. I'd also prefer it in the summer over winter. Too many winter beers that are phenomenal.

May I suggest Deschuttes Jubalale if you can find it.

9. Jimbos

Jimbos

Soft Parade is 8%.

10. Nitro225Optimax

Nitro225Optimax

It used to be over 10%.

11. bobberbill

bobberbill

Family is the brewmaster at Short's. I'm well stocked. Soft Parade is not my fav, but there are some experimentals that are 'OUTRAGEOUS GOOD'.. It's tough in the industry to come up with something new all the time. Aaron says one of the toughest things to do is come up with NAMES for the diff beers that they make and the names that haven't been used before. # 37 is one of my favs, but it's not on the market.

12. topgun47

topgun47

Traveling across the USA as well as across several continents quite often for business, I prefer to drink beverages that I know I'll find almost everywhere in the world.

I hate when I ask for something, and after the bartenders huddle and shake and scratch their heads for several minutes, they come back asking if it's a mixed drink, a beer or something to eat..............:)

Richard Cranium and Jimbos like this.
  13. Jimbos

Jimbos

The weird names makes me skittish to try anything other than Bellaire Brown which is in my top ten of favorites.

14. Nitro225Optimax

Nitro225Optimax

Craft beer selections and names are just getting overwhelming lately. It's nearly impossible to sample everything out there even if you had a different one every day.

I find myself looking to the descriptions and ingredients more than the name to determine if I might like it or not. I find myself avoiding beers with vague or no descriptions. I think in order to stand out, a one sentence or so sales pitch on the bottle or menu will be necessary to rise to the top.

U of M Fan likes this.
  15. Jimbos

Jimbos

I agree, my sons are always trying weird stuff that even if they like it will never remember the name to buy it again, or even find it again, and for the most part I think it's trash but I am more of a traditionalist when it comes to beers.

Bellaire Brown
    Boddington
    Murphy's
    Samuel Adams Octoberfest
    Bells Amber Ale
    Stroh's Detroit Brewed
    Samuel Adams Double Stout

These are maybe 2-3 others that are easy to find and that's the limit of my beer experimentation.

bobberbill likes this.