Short term housing ideas.

Discussion in 'Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)' started by DirtySteve, May 12, 2018.

1. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Just thought I would throw this out there to see what other people have done for short term housing solutions. Some of you guys come up with creative suggestions.

My son is a college student at michigan tech who got an engineering CO OP job for 7 months in Bay city. He is in Plymouth for training the first week and then will need housing for a term just shy of 7 months. They are giving him enough housing money to go in with about 3 students in an apartment to cover expenses but that hasn't materialized for him. Most of the other kids live close enough to drive. We live 85 miles from office and he would be fine with something from sunday night to thursday....possibly fridays if he had to work sat.

The first suggestion the company gave was look at air bnb and try to get a long term deal . We went that route and only 1 wasnt booked through the summer that could offer him mon-thurs. They didnt want to give a monthly deal that would be anywhere near cheap enough.

My kid isn an outdoorsman and his first thought was buy a wall tent and hit a local private campground but most of the ones he found wouldn't allow tents or they were too expensive. He even looked at camphost at the local state parks but he missed the boat on that. Don't think they would have taken him anyway being gone all day.

He has been looking at leasing but he is struggling to find anyone that would give him a lease short term. Most want 12 months which would be a waste to throw away over 5 months rent.

Anyway I thought I would throw out a post to see what some of you may have done in the past for similar situatuons.

Thanks for reading.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. Lightfoot

Lightfoot

I know construction guys who have done the walmart parking lot gig with a camper or trailer. For showers they join a 24 hour fitness club or hit up the ymca.

petronius and DirtySteve like this.

3. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

My son jokingly said Walmart and sleep in his car...but that isnt a bad idea. I didnt think about a local gym membership. A cheap hardside camper might work.

petronius likes this.
  4. miruss

miruss

i would look at a popup camper in place of tent then look at state campgrounds or at a campground that allows long term camping !!

jiggin is livin and growninmi like this.
  5. growninmi

growninmi

Some cheap hotels, days inn, red roofs etc offer monthly rates..some are pretty cheap.

6. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

We have looked at that.....but $25-30 a night to camp is pretty expensive. Over $500 a month plus the cost of the camper if he leaves on weekends. Even rustic state campgrounds with only outhouses and no showers are $13-15 a night these days. There aren't any of those in the area.

7. Scott K

Scott K

A lot of apartments that have 12 month leases allow you to break the lease with a penalty of 1 months rent as long as you give 30 days notice. He'd end up paying 8 months rent to live there 7 months.

goodworkstractors and DirtySteve like this.
  8. Zofchak

Zofchak

I'm not so sure that your son was joking. Vanlife! There are a ton of people doing this nowadays and it sounds like it would be a perfect solution for your son. Sell his current vehicle and buy larger van that can serve as both residence and transportation. Get a gym membership for showering, and he can pocket all the housing cash and end up with quite a nest egg by the end of the 7 months. On YouTube there are many examples of people doing this and it doesn't carry the stigma among the younger generations like it did for those of us that watched Chris Farley's "Down by the River" skit. :cool:

jiggin is livin and DirtySteve like this.
  9. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Yeah you are right about it being socially acceptable these days. Daniel Norris of the tigers has done this from time to time. He was sleeping in his microbus in one of the fenced in lots for one of the Detroit TV stations.....everyone commended a guy willing to lead a frugal lifestyle while earning 2 million a year in the MLB. I also remember a story of a kid who got away with living in a van on campus at Duke for over 2 yrs without anyone knowing. He was pretty smart about how he did it undetected.

10. Yarcraft

Yarcraft

I would have him contact his employer and see if they can help finding some place. A lot of these larger companies have a network of new hires, co-op, and interns that could be looking for a room mate. I did co-ops when I was at Tech and my company had apartments that the co-ops rotated through every six months.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

11. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

My company does the same thing.....but this place doesn't. It kind of surprised me because they are a large company with a dozen or more offices. My son asked and they they said they don't get involved in housing they just offer a stipend. That is when they suggested trying air bnb. They said a student had good luck going that route the previous year.

12. plugger

plugger Premium Member

He could try a couple single bars and see what's available.

13. perchyanker

perchyanker

Tell him to post on craigslist what he is in search of in the housing section in that area.

Several people out their that will let you put a camper in their yard for a couple hundred a month and let you use their shower

Sent from my LGL82VL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

14. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

I'm a vet and the old GI bill paid for my education 100%. What I discovered during this journey was that while I earned my free school and books, everything else in life like rent and food costs money and I had to work two jobs at a time while going to school to make it happen! Perhaps this will be part of his education and most of what engineers do is look at a big problem or obstacle and figure out how to conquer it.

I had some really crappy jobs but I never gave up.

TriggerDiscipline likes this.
  15. jr9912

jr9912

85 miles one way isn't bad just commute it every day. My commute is 73 miles a day one way. 5 days a week. It sucks but it's only 7 months. I've been doing my drive for 12 years.