Shooting help...

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Grampski, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Grampski

Grampski

Fellow waterfowlers need some tips...
    Developed a problem shooting, can't keep my head down on gun. Any tips / practice you men and women use to help correct this. Looking for serious help but in today's world funny stuff don't bother me..

6Speed likes this.
  2. Bigeejakes

Bigeejakes

I'll make a few assumptions:
    Since this is a waterfowl forum; this is related to duck and goose hunting. This means you're probably shooting a field gun, which has a "flat" shooting 50/50 pattern. And pretty large drop at comb.

The most common reason for lifting your head is your brain wants to "see" the target (goose), but it's blocked out by the barrel.

An important detail: many people have been taught to cover the bird with the barrel... But with a properly fitted field gun, the center of your pattern is actually the top edge of the bead (not directly behind the bead like a rifle), so... A perfectly centered goose should just be touching the top of your bead, not buried behind the barrels. BUT your gun has to be pattern tested to make sure this is the case (look up poi pattern testing)!! Everyone's face is different and 1/8" makes a huge difference in gun fit.

Competitive clay shooters (especially trap shooters) shoot guns that are purposely set to shoot high, so that they can clearly see the target when they pull the trigger... And avoid lifting their heads subconsciously.

There are a few things to try.

#1 is check your gun fit. With your cheek bone tight against the comb, make sure your eye can see down the rib. If it is buried behind the receiver, your brain makes you lift your head so you can see.

#2 cause could be recoil sensitivity... If you're shooting heavy loads through a light gun... You may need to add weight to your gun and/or shoot lighter recoil loads, or buy a gas semiauto to reduce perceived recoil.

#3 if it's just a bad habit you've gotten yourself into, the best way to break it is to start with a "loose" gun mount, and force yourself to go into the gun before the shot. (As opposed to starting with a tight gun mount which you come out of, which you're probably doing now)

I hope this helps!

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

3. the_skog

the_skog

I agree with everything bigeejakes says. I also have a peeking problem. For me making an conscious effort to go slow and hit marks before pulling the trigger. For me it goes as follows:1) see bird 2) pull gun to face 3) put gun in shoulder 4) swing with bird 5) pull trigger.

Grampski likes this.
  4. Waif

Waif

Could try a piece of felt, like a cupboard door bumper on your stock where your cheekbone needs to be for cheek weld. Stay attached at the shot. And follow through on the shot!
    You're shooting. Not being a spotter looking for a crumple.
    A followed through solid hit drops a bird. Your peeking does not...

5. kisherfisher

kisherfisher

to check your Cheek weld or any other stock issue, throw the gun up with your eyes closed at a close target . No need to fire , just observe what your sight picture is when you open your eyes.

Grampski and 6Speed like this.
  6. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Definitely a cheek weld problem as others are saying.

There are some uTubes on fixing this and its also a challenge for training troops in the military so there are tips on Google. Using a dry fire round and having someone stand in front of you when you toss the weapon up is a good tip. They can easily see and confirm the cheek weld symptoms to confirm that's where your focus needs to be on correcting this.

Grampski likes this.
  7. Grampski

Grampski

yes it does thanks , i believe it's #1 i point and seem to pick my head up to see the shot and # 3 sounds right also. Thanks

8. Grampski

Grampski

Thanks for the input everybody

6Speed likes this.
  9. John Singer

John Singer

I would like to echo what Bigeejakes said so well. Your issue is most likely related to gun fit.

Check out this website:

https://www.theyorkshiregent.com/shooting/gun-fitting-guide-fit-shotgun/

It explains how to fit a gun properly.

Your dominant eye should be centered over the rib.

Many field guns result in a fit like shown in the image on the left below.
    Incorrect-Eye-Position.jpg

Ideally your gun should fit such that it looks like this.
    Correct-Eye-Position.jpg

Like was said previously, many field guns have low combs. There are many ways to do this such as Beartooth comb raiser, some Beretta and Kickease products, or a section of old neoprene waders glued with Shoe Goo to the stock.

6thMichCav and Grampski like this.
  10. RS1983

RS1983

Find the corner of a room where two walls and the ceiling come together. Focus on that spot and start with your gun at your hip and just practice shouldering the gun without taking your focus off that spot. Then look down at the rib of your gun and verify that you have the correct sight picture. Close your eyes and do this. Do it alot when you have spare time. You will build muscle memory and be able to tell by feel alone of your gun is mounted correctly. When I shoot I'm only partially aware of the gun all focus is on the target

Grampski likes this.
  11. Fowly

Fowly

Place your head down where it should be. Now tie a non stretch fishing line to the bill of your hat. On the other end of the fishing line, tie an extremely sharp hook and place under your nads....:)

greenhose and Grampski like this.
  12. Grampski

Grampski

LMAOOOOOO

13. twoteal

twoteal

Both eyes open practice shouldering the gun at your eyeball in a mirror. All this is great info and I have found the number one reason people have trouble is fit.

14. 6thMichCav

6thMichCav

Gun fit, as pointed out, will solve a lot of problems. With the ideal cheek weld and an upright head position, you are less likely to raise your head to try to see better.

A poorly fit gun makes you duck down low while you try to peer through your eyeballs at a quickly-disappearing target. Unless you are willing to alter the stock or get one fitted, you have to remind yourself to keep your head down on every shot. And maybe trim your eyebrows....

After 5600 rounds of trap and skeet (that’s over 140,000 targets) I still had to remind myself to keep my head down. And that’s not many targets compared to the hardcore shooters.