shooting and trapping of feral cats in Michigan

Discussion in 'Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law' started by Zorba, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Zorba

Zorba

Is it legal to shoot or trap feral cats in Michigan? Would you need a license to do so?

2. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

No big deal years ago they were considered feral .Now you could be charged with a felony depending on the prosecutor where you live .

3. old professor

old professor

Follow the three S's . Shoot(trap), shovel and most importantly- SHUT UP!

fishbuster and JVoutdoors like this.
  4. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

But you never know .I pulled into a guys driveway to get permission to run my bird dog in his grassy field .I pulled in just as he blasted a cat in his yard .Awkward !!! he did give me permission though .

shotgun12 likes this.
  5. jrose

jrose

I would have"high fived" him!

shotgun12 and 357Maximum like this.
  6. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

This is Sam. Sam was thrown out of a trailer when the people moved out and fended for himself for a year and a half before he was trapped and brought to a shelter. We're fostering him trying to work out the effects of the abuse the other trailer park residents put upon him. He seems quite fond of my three year old and we find him curled up in her bed often.

If you missed your chance to shoot him I guess you could come to my house.

IMAG3073[1].jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  7. sourdough44

sourdough44

I think it all depends, where you are & the other factors. If I see a stray cat go though the back yard, my 1st thought isn't to bag it.

I was at a house years ago that was miles from the nearest neighbor. A truly stray cat came by the back brush one day, that was his last day. There was no Facebook back then either.

One can get in a lot of trouble shooting a dog or cat, best to do a little thinking beforehand.

8. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Finalized the adoption yesterday. In true cat fashion Sam didn't seem to care.

IMAG3164[1].jpg

9. junkman

junkman

Best to call your local animal control.They may loan you a live trap and come pick it up once the cat is caught.

phantom cls likes this.
  10. Ken

Ken

I saw one while bowhunting once that made a wild alley cat look trim, proper, and groomed. Hopefully, predators cleaned up the carcass quickly. Probably had more diseases than a 2 dollar street woman.

357Maximum likes this.
  11. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

My girlfriend works at calders farm in Monroe last spring there where kittens I thought why not bring one home I already have one domestic cat and a pure black lab. Worst idea ever this dang cat will eat any thing. The cat will go to my dogs food dish and push him away to eat his food she dose the same thing with my other cat.

12. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

guy I used to work with would take out his neighbors cats with a bow. he was one of them Guys that would kill for fun some Jeffrey damhmer kinda sh1t that I completely disagree with that if I kill some thing I eat it and use every part of the body that I can I can how many of y'all have had duck or goose hearts on a shish kabob that's my favorite part of the animal I've even made the best cracklins from big old fat Mallards . I guess that's just the Peruvian in me lol. grew up eating beef heart anticuchos. If you all have never had deer heart tocos y'all are missing out.

jiggin is livin and petronius like this.
  13. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

I guess I came off pretty strong I'll kill animals like yotes skunks and coon I won't eat them but I do skin them and they get fed to the hawks bc they mess with my dog I just don't see the point of killing feral cats I mean what damage do they do to your property what harm do they do to you.i honestly hate cats but I'd never kill a demestic cat or dog just not right.

twdhunt and petronius like this.
  14. petronius

petronius

You need to show that cat this Dining Etiquette thread.

growninmi and Aaronjeep2 like this.
  15. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

I had a whole Chicken carcasses on the counter the dang thing pulled it off threw it on the ground and ate half of it bones and all.

petronius likes this.