close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shiawassee conditions

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by 3shotmike, Nov 15, 2017.

1. craigrh13

craigrh13

A certain individual was trying to suggest that I try up there earlier in the year. I went to the “usual area” instead.

2. 3shotmike

3shotmike

Hunted prior rd in the afternoon draw yesterday. Things were pretty slow. Need an influx of new birds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

That road needs a influx of new filler.Slow going out there..

Bertslash and Shiawassee_Kid like this.
  4. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Miller Road was just like I remembered too. If you're the last guy out on that road you find a lot if stuff that shook out of the rigs that left before you.

5. lefty421

lefty421

We hunted Shi sunday morning. Had to break a little ice to get to our spot and had birds landing in the decoys 20 minutes before shooting time. An impressive amount of birds flew overhead. We managed 5 mallards, but should have had a few more. All in all, it was a good morning.

Bertslash, Tonypro and Shiawassee_Kid like this.
  6. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Five parties last night, four this morning. 14 so far today. Have two plans. We will see...

7. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Drew second, passed, circled around and got the zone I was eyeing. Long paddle ahead. Two neighbors in my field, one in the next one south. Feeling good, 20 gauge good in fact.

8. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Had two chances. Would say I made the most of them, but neither was a single. I did not get another pass at the geese as goose one about hit me and he was up a there a fair bit and came down like a meteor. Had two geese short land just a bit too far out. Drake was shot below the level of the corn feet down close enough that the 20 punched him sideways. All in all kind of stale, if it were not for the wind it would have been horrid.

IMAG1104.jpg

IMAG1108.jpg

9. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Throwing down Advil like candy this morning. Hoping that the entirely un chosen north Prior wasn't full of birds last night. Hours were 5:01 and I hit the launch at Hulien at 6:11. Stupid head wind.

StiffNeckRob likes this.
  10. Ash

Ash

That’s a long paddle ! Nice work

Bertslash likes this.
  11. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I troll in the kayak so I'm used to seat time, but not at that speed. And I had way too many decoys in the deck making it tippy. Still better than the canoe.

If paring down the list to travel light, marsh seat should not be something cut.

Bertslash likes this.
  12. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Refuge count at 3k. Corn gone. Most birds using marsh zones. Picked 9/17 today and went to a corn field. No clue why I picked that one. I paddled in, rest of the crew came by boat. Big boat. Winch broke. I'm standing there wondering where they are and they're wishing I was there to help. Decoys blew away in the wind. Boat left the corn and blew across the field, across the canal too. So I had to chase it with the kayak. Which had a lot of gear in it. Didn't fire a shot until 2:30.

3 man limit of mallards. Rob goes to get the boat now tied in the corn, and I look up and see a goose coming. It's like two minutes to hours. Chad jams a couple shells in and I called a goose for him for a change, and he dropped it cold. Nice bonus. And speaking of bonuses, after 29 years...

IMAG1134.jpg

Bertslash, dinoday, LumberJ and 17 others like this.
  13. craigrh13

craigrh13

Nice drake. Where was it banded? You said you guys shot your 12 mallards?

14. Bigeejakes

Bigeejakes

I saw you paddling out, I was in the canoe behind you that took a right turn through the cut. It was a fun night to be out... Was drawn 16/17 but it worked out well!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

15. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

It was a bit sporty at that last stretch where you turned off. A couple times when the wind caught me was I rolling 6-7 mph on the GPS. I don't think the hull of that kayak was designed for that.

Bird was banded in 2008 in Hebron, Wisconsin.