Shiawassee 2019

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Far Beyond Driven, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I said gut check - maybe should have said blind squirrel. But knowing enough to string those bread crumbs together made for a banner hunt.

One of these days I'll go and learn the woods so that's not so scary any more.

25 years at Muskegon (and over 1700 miles spent driving there and back this year) and I'm still sorting out the dynamics. And there's far fewer variables there than Shiawassee.

craigrh13 likes this.
  2. craigrh13

craigrh13

There’s simply some things that just can’t be explained or can only be found out by hunting out there and observing. Here’s a weird one. This year mid season 63 was hot in the am. In the pm? not so much. But in the am that’s where the birds wanted to be. But why not the pm? No idea!

Opening weekend. Mornings we’re terrible. Afternoons were hot. If you scouted the pm for an am hunt you might be disappointed. Second day PM absolutely smoked them this year. In the am? not really. Why? I’m guessing the full moon. That was observed most of the week prior scouting though.

3. craigrh13

craigrh13

And where and how you hunt your zone is probably the most important part. Literally the difference between a poor hunt and a good hunt or a decent hunt and a great hunt. That was probably the biggest thing I learned this year.

StiffNeckRob likes this.
  4. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

It's funny what minutiae can factor into decision making.

One little bit of advice that's held true at Muskegon is "remember what zones you had to clean clay off your boots in, when it rains".

Unlike Shiawassee where that clay is everywhere. I'm going to stucco my house with the stuff from Miller Road as it just doesn't rinse off.

5. Wolverine423

Wolverine423

There is a reason for everything at shi. A couple of main stays do stay the same, but the majority of rhyme & reasons change year to year. Get it figured and you can most generally shoot birds anywhere at shi and not worry so much about draw orders...

*On a side note, I’ll trade a shi hunt in November for a field hunt during the split. My set up or yours don’t matter.

6. choc24/7

choc24/7

i may have got out three or four times this year. my back does not like the standing or the marsh seat. if anybody looking for a rig let me know.

7. Wolverine423

Wolverine423

I just might kno of - What are you selling