Shiawassee 2019

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Far Beyond Driven, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

How are the river levels these days? Hunted 15 once when it was all backed up - I'm 6'3" and had troubles finding a place to stand...

2. Adam Gibbs

Adam Gibbs

Like any river it has its shallow and deep spots. It is also highly variable due to local precipitation and run off but also wind direction as well.

3. Shiawassee_Kid

Shiawassee_Kid

its deep. shallows will be slack water and froze more than likely.

4. craigrh13

craigrh13

The river is a tough hunt. If you aren’t where they want to be then you most likely will be disappointed.

5. Wolverine423

Wolverine423

Shi & Craig are both correct on that one! Pissed away a hunt due to that high water...

craigrh13 likes this.
  6. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

"The river is a tough hunt. If you aren’t where they want to be then you most likely will be disappointed."

Set up on river where guy coming out said the birds were favoring the night before.

Birds were not favoring that, even though weather and wind were the same.

Move to side / spot birds are favoring.

Figure out there's a hole in the cat tails the birds are using.

Get hopelessly lost in cat tails looking for said hole. End up on dike looking down at it and ducks in it. Get hopelessly lost trying to find it back. Only find canoe back as daughter is sitting in it laughing at all the racket.

Mallards sit tight as you crunch right on past both times.

Finally find hole and spook out birds. Realize that any bird you shoot that will fall in this little pocket will likely be destroyed. Realize any bird that falls outside of pocket will likely never be found.

Retreat to river and shoot mergansers.

Shoot one mallard as it comes down back to the hole.

Wait four years to hunt river again.

IMAG1100.jpg

JSchipper, LumberJ, Bertslash and 3 others like this.
  7. craigrh13

craigrh13

Veterans day I shot my 6 birds with a band and was back at the launch by 9. The afternoon I spent a couple hours running the river and watching how the birds worked it in that kind of weather and searching for the thermal cover they love during these cold spells. Also was searching for where the high current spots are and areas that are most open to wind. That scouting paid off yesterday and we had a fantastic hunt. The crap the birds will hold up in is crazy. Kicked out an epic crap ton of woodies out of the thickest willows/buck rush i’ve ever seen with no open water around them. They must have walked into it. Pretty incredible. As I was saying the rivers can be great or terrible and where you setup will 100% determine that.

Bertslash and StiffNeckRob like this.
  8. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Two parties this pm. Pushing thru margarita slush with Bump Racer X.

Flock of geese did two laps flaring hard both times. Had two ducks think about it.

LumberJ likes this.
  9. craigrh13

craigrh13

There’s a few zones shooting recently and it’s not your typical areas one would think. Seeing the draw order explains everything one needs to know.

10. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Do away with draw orders..;)

11. Bertslash

Bertslash

Why not just read the zone kill charts????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Draw order? We didn't even draw today. Gentlemen's agreement with the other party and we both went our separate ways.

13. craigrh13

craigrh13

And how did you finish?

Fishfighter likes this.
  14. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

Skunk soup served with stale birds. Had two chances. Neither were chip shots. After those it was a long period of time without so much as a bird in the sky anywhere.

5:05 there were birds all over. Still not completely sure anything landed in our field in any of the zones.

But...I collected the Shiawassee punch so I can turn in my wetland wonders card.

Should have unloaded on one at 80+ so that I could have had the complete Prior road experience though.

Bertslash, craigrh13 and Highball28 like this.
  15. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Lol....Good one...
    But its not a the real experience unless you have 11 other fields joining in on it.
    Did have a decent hunt at Prior this year and everyone let them work, I never seen that before. ..