Shed Hunting

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by mattawanhunter, Jan 8, 2018.

1. mattawanhunter

mattawanhunter

IMG_20180108_173147283_HDR.jpg Did a little shed hunting tonight! Didn't find anything but what a great cure for Cabin Fever!

2. 357Maximum

357Maximum

Cool pic. I will be out looking after/during this coming melt. I have found two already running bunnies. I really wanna find the other half of one of em. I passed him up so many times I should be able to smell the shed myself. :lol:

mattawanhunter likes this.

3. unclecbass

unclecbass

Let’s keep this thread going. I love shed hunting and seing what others find. Good luck!!

4. old graybeard

old graybeard

I haven't gone looking yet but my cams are getting pics of bucks that have shed already

5. rimmer

rimmer

Of all the deer I have seen of late, non have antlers. I think I will go out looking later today.

mattawanhunter likes this.
  6. wildthing

wildthing

It is still early for any serious shed hunting around here, although it does vary from year to year. I have noted a couple of bucks on camera that have already shed but we had many bucks carry their antlers well into February last year.

I found 14 total last year. These were the first 5 I found in a 1/2 acre sugar beet plot on February 22nd when we had a February thaw. I know....they aren't very big...but anyone can find the sheds from 4 year olds. It takes a real shed hunter to find them from yearlings :D.

IMG_0869.jpg

My neighbor found these 3 the second week of January in 2015:

DSC00813.jpg

Post up some pics when you find some.

7. sniper

sniper

It'll be another month or two before I really start browsing...Bucks tend to hang on to their headgear a while in my neck of the woods..

8. wildthing

wildthing

That's because you keep them so well nourished Sniper.

9. bigal06

bigal06

Same here. There were a few small shed bucks during the last week of the season. I’ll let them keep piling in until at least mid February before I really start to look.

Dish7, sniper and wildthing like this.
  10. T Brown

T Brown

Picked up an old 4 pt side on December 4th in the middle of one of my plots. Had a trail cam within 40 yards of it and I need to thank either the coyote that went by or my parents Great Dane. One of them was nice enough to leave it out in the open for me. 54390A8B-4140-4857-A38E-C6D7AFB5AEBF.jpeg

11. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Check my cameras last night and a lot of deer were still sporting head gear. I will look Friday for a bit in bedding area but wont start seriously looking until Feburary

12. unclecbass

unclecbass

Checked my cameras today. Everyone still had their headgear

13. rimmer

rimmer

nothin. I did scare up a big herd and there was piss and crap everywhere.

14. Bucman

Bucman

I try to wait until March when they’re all off. Then I grid search my areas one time to limit intrusion to sanctuaries and not push deer off my area.

15. diamoma1

diamoma1

Hey Guys, I have property in Osceola Co. I'd estimate that less than half the headgear has been shed at the moment, but more drop every day. Quick tip - If you have porcupines on your place, find their den trees. Lots of times sheds are stacked at the base of those trees.

vsmorgantown likes this.