Shawnee Reef Encounter

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by 55ducker, Nov 21, 2020 at 8:21 PM.

1. 55ducker

55ducker

To the new owner of Shawnee Reef and Celeron Island, let me apologize for disturbing you this afternoon when I dared to check out a spot at least 220 yards from your guarded perch on the rocks off Shawnee Reef. After you fired your warning shot over us, I moved on down the island to get out of your way. Let me also apologize for not warning the deer hunters I saw trespassing on your island, but I’m sure they mistakenly thought this was public land like I did. I just wished him luck as he did me. You know how outdoorsmen used to do it while sharing the resource. But I understand your concern, trespassing on your island must be a problem since I heard the volley of shots about fifteen minutes after shooting time, I’m sure you must have just been chasing off some other misguided encroachers. I’m sure it must get expensive shooting over boats that get to close to your island, so if I ever see you there again, I’m just bringing you the shell I cost you today. Have a wonderful season whoever you are.

roger15055 and Matt.tzew like this.
  2. fsamie1

fsamie1 Premium Member

There were 3 group on those reefs today, 3 young kids on west rocks, I was by myself in the middle and 2 guys on the east rock pile. I heard the kids to shoot 5 minutes after and a few other shots but I did not see a duck. I did not fire a shot. You must have been close to them otherwise warning shots shouldn't have bothered you. In my opinion, fishermen should stay away from duck hunters spread.

3. Divers Down

Divers Down

4. 55ducker

55ducker

5. R.J.M.

R.J.M.

It’s all good . We know how those jumbos like to sit under a decoy spread .

fsamie1 likes this.
  6. 55ducker

55ducker

It was the west group. I wasn't fishing. I was coming out looking for a spot to duck hunt. Had thought about the reef but saw the group and the crowd on the reef so I headed north. Had not even thrown a decoy, or shut the motor down. Was looking at the marsh area on the west side of the island when the fella climbs over the rocks to the north side and fires up in the air and yells "seriously!". I wasn't sure, so when I got home I ran a distance check on google maps and was very conservative about the distance. 660 feet. Fsamie, you were likely closer to that group than me if you were in the middle reef. The shot was not at a duck, it was intended to make me move which I did. Remember, I did not even cut the motor down. So I ask you Fsamie, seriously, was the shot necessary?

7. 55ducker

55ducker

Not fishing and was simply motoring along looking for a spot to hunt and was at least 660 feet on the north side of the wall. His spread was on the south side. He had to climb over to the north side to shoot. Was I too close to his spread? I ask you R.J.M.

8. R.J.M.

R.J.M.

I wasn’t directing my comment at you but at the perch fishermen who have no clue . I’m sorry that you had to in counter these individuals . Good luck stay safe

9. roger15055

roger15055

Wow what trash to say the least!!! What happened to something simple like signaling with a flashlight or a whistle and wave your arms to show your hunting there!! And motoring threw just looking it’s a shame it has to be that way!! To bad the DNR wasn’t close by to witness that bad behavior!! I sit and think at 59 years old did I ever act that way??? It would have never crossed my mind!!! If we had room slide in and make some new friends.No different than when guys complain about Conservation officers checking to see if your legal with your license and have everything correct but boy if someone should step on your land where the heck is the DNR. It’s upbringing I was checked opening day of deer last weekend and of course I was legal and we sat at my truck talking deer hunting and beef jerky and diet Mountain Dew. I tried his venison jerky and he tried my jerky from lees market in Newport he told me some places to check out for deer hunting and when we parted ways I gave him the rest of the bag of jerky and another Mountain Dew. That’s called two sportsman talking and about what they love and one just doing his job! And getting back to the dimwit Blasting a round straight up did you ever think what goes up also comes down!!! Also what example are you setting for younger hunters if they were witnessing that crazy behavior. That goes back to You were not born that way you were taught that way!!! I just hope you found a spot and ended up with a good hunt.

Macs13 likes this.
  10. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

How many beers am I gonna need to have for this narrative to make sense?

11. Divers Down

Divers Down

You did nothing wrong. You unfortunately encountered a typical slob hunter that thinks he owns the lake. I’ve had too many run ins like this to list. It’s one reason I don’t Marsh hunt very much anymore..and I’m getting bored. Lol
    Early season we have jet skis and pontoons drive close all the time. No way I’d ever think of firing a warning shot. If a guy does something like that, I imagine his entire life if a cluster. Forget about it and keep on huntin. Remember your video phone if you ever have a close run in...it’s amazing how these tough guys turn and run like “kitties” Lol

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 8:59 AM
    roger15055 likes this.
  12. twoteal

twoteal

Drive over and confront him like a man.

13. Rhawk86

Rhawk86

They were more upset about the sun tan their decoys were getting and you were the only living thing coming in yesterday.

Downriver has the highest concentration of Scrubs in Michigan. You won’t have trouble running into this again.

Your time yesterday scouting was a significantly better investment than theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Divers Down likes this.
  14. Rhawk86

Rhawk86

Let me clarify, I don’t think all people downriver are scrubs. More scrub duck hunters flock here IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

waggleduck, Fowl Play and Divers Down like this.