close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shappell FX 200

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by Gillgitter, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Gillgitter

Gillgitter

I'm thinking about picking one of these up. I don't want to spend a ton on a two man as I usually fish alone. I just want it for the few times my Grandson may want to tag along.

I've read up a bit on them. the only negative I can find is they flap a little in the wind. Anyone have one? If so what are your thoughts.

2. Mr. Botek

Mr. Botek

I don't have that one, but have used a flip shanty. You can prevent it from lifting up in the wind by screwing a "T" ice anchor inside so it holds the bar down. A half turn will allow you to lift and flip.

Perchlips likes this.

3. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised

Don't have the FX200, although have the 100 for over 25 years which is still used majority of the time over the Yukon. No issues with either one "Flapping" in the wind that any shanty would flap in extreme wind.

4. Baybum

Baybum

It's no Yukon, which was my last shanty, but it's a decent shack. Does all that it's supposed to do, fishes one great two just fine. Won it in the Linwood event a couple years back and my Yukon had been on its death bed, and I've used it since and saved the $800 for other stuff.

5. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

I had one for several years before I sold it. Not a bad flip-over, but they do flop in heavier wind. I cured that by laying my auger down on the front flap. The reason I sold mine was because I already had a one man and it was way easier to load into the back of the truck when I was by myself.

Decent choice for the price though.

6. onebad800

onebad800

I too am looking at the FX 200 insulated version , dont want to spend a fortune but need something i can fit one of my boys in also

7. onebad800

onebad800

I too am looking at the FX 200 insulated version , dont want to spend a fortune but need something i can fit one of my boys in also

8. Gillgitter

Gillgitter

I picked one up, but not an insulated one. Easy to put together and seems well made.

9. shrek527

shrek527

I own a fx 200 uninsulated version. I love it. Use it 3-5 times a week. It’s been out on Lake Erie when it froze over a couple years ago, on those very cold days we got and it was easy to keep warm, even with some of the winds. I have an old Coleman focus 5 heater and have to keep it on low and keep turning it on and off or it gets too hot too quick. Plenty of room for two guys. My only complaints are that mine doesn’t get as dark as I would like. Not having a floor seems like more light gets in and I do a good job of trying to seal it with snow. Had to also buy a couple shorter rods as mine were a just a bit too long and kept bumping them on the front setting the hook, and losing the fish in the process. We do spear out of it as well. Mostly perch but occasionally we will go after pike in it and while it’s doable. Just real tight. I do keep it off the ice when I’m using the 4 wheeler. There’s very little tear on the bottom from when I hoof it. I do my best tho to not drag it on parking lots and such. They are a decent little shanty for the price. Put snow on the outside flaps and I won’t flop as much in the wind.