close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shanty Winch set/up

Discussion in 'Icefishing Lk. St. Clair' started by Cold weather man, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Cold weather man

Cold weather man

Hope everyone is well. Time to start thinking about the hard water again!

Wanting to put a winch in the front of my truck bed to pull my insulated shanty full of gear up into the truck bed , especially if I was by myself.

Anyone make this set up yet and if so , what ya got and how do you like it ?

2. plugger

plugger Premium Member

I made a set up to hoist deer into my Kawasaki mule that is similar to what you need. I welded square stock that fit in the front stake pockets to a fairly heavy piece of angle iron that spanned the bed. I just had a plate with a hole to hook a ratchet come along. Crank it right up. Rather than deal with the steel cable I installed rope on the come along. You could mount an electric winch to a piece of angle that spanned the front of the bed. I would use synthetic winch cable or just rope to pull a shanty. Once your shanty is over 50% in you can just push it a head so that simplifies working out angles of pull.

3. Some dude

Some dude

I now have a shorter vehicle cuz I was having trouble getting my shanty back in the truck , down was easy , it was back in that was hell after a long day on the ice ! I also started getting ready for hard water by buying a "shnozzle" and filling 17 of my empty 1lb tanks , c'mon winter !!