Shaggys

Discussion in 'MichiganMushrooms.com' started by fishgod, Sep 29, 2020.

1. fishgod

fishgod

I was driving down the road just admiring what a nice fall day it was. I spotted something immediately had to turn around. Unfortunately, I should have drove this road yesterday. I found a whole patch of shaggy manes but the majority of them were already turning inky. I managed to pick about a dozen and left the other ones to dissolve by tomorrow. A quick snack for later. Anybody know a good way to preserve these things, or do they have to be eaten right away?
    I found some last year in the same spot, but they turn into an ink blob the next day. IMG_20200929_163612.jpeg

Sent from my Life One X3 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Petronius and jeffm like this.
  2. jeffm

jeffm

Nice find!
    Not sure about best ways to put up. But dang they are tasty. Tried them for the first time a few days ago. Very good. When I spot them usually on private property, I just wave to them as I drive by.

DanSS26 and fishgod like this.

3. fishgod

fishgod

I've had them a few times before and enjoyed them. I've never tried to cook them once they start turn blue. Today, I just cleaned them up and trimmed some of the blue off and sauteed them for later. They tasted fine on my sample, but I'll put them into an egg dish or something later. Tonight, fresh bluegills are on the menu. Still waiting to spot my first Hen of the season. I know how to put those up for long-term storage.

Sent from my Life One X3 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

DanSS26 and jeffm like this.
  4. Woodbutcher-1

Woodbutcher-1

Which is what????? Dehydrating or freezing fresh.??????

5. Sparky23

Sparky23

Some books and experts say do not cook any part that has started to blue. Just and fyi. I think it's just stomach discomfort if they are bad

fishgod and jeffm like this.
  6. fishgod

fishgod

I have had pretty good luck with flash freezing the cleaned fronds on a cookie sheet and then into one gallon ziplock bags for the freezer shelf. I just take out what I need when I am preparing a dish and saute them up in a pan with butter before mixing them into something.
    How do you store all the #'s of grifola that you harvest? I am always willing to try something different if the results are better.

jeffm likes this.
  7. fishgod

fishgod

Thanks Sparky23. I have read that the "ink" is edible, just not very tasty. I did trim all the turning parts off before sauteing them in some butter for later. This, like several others, is one mushroom that you do not want to eat while consuming alcohol because of stomach issues. I usually put the shaggy's that I do find into an egg dish. Planning on making a big omelette Saturday morning, right after my morning bowhunt. (I don't usually drink alcohol with my breakfast. ;))

8. Woodbutcher-1

Woodbutcher-1

Thanks for the reply fishgod, first of all, there is no way that a can keep all the hens that i harvest in a season. I give most of them to people that will use them.
    i have dehydrated to many of them in the past. Even when used in stews, simmering for hours,
    they seem to have a Leathery texture.
    We have several Vacuum machines that i use. Your method is great, flash freezing and the larger Zip lock bags.
    Depending what we use them for, i make the bags and weigh the hens in 3 different proportions.
    8 oz./ 3/4 lb. and 1 lb. Place the UNSEALD bags into the freezer for several hours (flash freeze)
    Then i completely wipe the inside of the bag with paper towels to dry, and then seal them.
    This method will result in a perfect seal.
    My first attempt to freeze them (without flash freezing) resulted in most of them having freezer burned hens. Poor seal / air in bags.
    I hope this ( yours / mine, freezing) method will help some newbies out in deciding how they want to store them.
    Good luck all in your hen hunting.

fishgod and jeffm like this.
  9. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

I vacuum pack them uncleaned. The consistency changes after freezing and they clean easier without falling apart. I only pack enough for a meal or two, burgers or omelet's mainly. They thaw quickly, rinse and brush away any specks of dirt and right into the butter/olive oil withand onion or shallots.

DanSS26 and jeffm like this.