close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

septic systems , arched chambers?

Discussion in 'Michigan Homesteading and Home Improvement' started by brushbuster, Feb 8, 2018.

1. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

If it's been in since 1954 I think you got your money's worth.

Back then most systems weren't built as we know them now. Many were built out of cement blocks with a pile of stone in a pit just outside the tank. Sink and wash water were run into dry wells, cement block or some type of metal tank with holes cut in it and a couple feet of stone around the outside.

2. d_rek

d_rek

Question... How often should you have your septic pumped? My grandma has lived at their house with a septic field over clay soil for 30+ years and has never had it pumped (at least not to my knowledge).

We just had one put in at our new house last year. I was told it was 'extra large' considering the soil type, and the GC seemed to think if I ever had problems with my septic it would be because I damaged it some way.

I'm only asking because I want to plan finances for when (if) i need to get it pumped in 3-5 more years. It's only 1 yr old but a lot of our wastewater goes right into our septic: clothes washer, dish washer, 2 toilets, bathtub, shower stall, kitchen and bathroom sinks. Our sump drains to daylight and our softener water and drain tile goes into the sump.

3. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Many factors into how long before getting it pumped.

Google has many suggestions and things to consider

4. i am- i hunt

i am- i hunt

i would bet that it's under the raised flower bed. that;s how my parents did it to two cottages they owned.

5. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

6. JBIV

JBIV Premium Member

Every 3-5 years is what's recommended for pumping a tank.

brushbuster likes this.
  7. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

If you got a health dept. permit and contractor installed as designed, all the factors you mentioned were figured in. That said if you have a couple kids with the wife normally it would be 3-4 years. At that point ask pumper, or watch to see how deep sludge is at bottom that will give you a good idea how often after that first pump out. May extend the time frame at that point.

8. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I don't doubt that. Many of them around here are starting to fail. It's still a ton of money to put out.

9. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

When you're ready to replace, ask your contractor about installing a wye in the discharge line so you can switch flow between your old field and the new one. You can switch back and forth once a year, or so, and extend the life of the new field by a significant amount of time. Some health departments will allow it. Often, simply by letting the old field dry out it will start working again and you can gain more life. Can't do that when you're using the field, but you can if you add a field and rotate the discharge.

10. JUSTCATCHINUM

JUSTCATCHINUM

The house we have was built in 1992. We had the system inspected before we bought it in 2014. The original owner, 2 people never had the tank pumped. It still didn't need pumped but was suggested. We did have it pumped in 2016, it's a part time house for the 2 of us. There is 2 drain fields with a wye. I'm not sure if the previous owners switched fields but we switch ever Memorial weekend. So as previously stated, there's different situations for the time frame of pumping. Using it correctly by not putting the improper items down the system is the most important in my opinion. Learn how to measure the solids on the bottom and scum on the top of the tank, if you are up to it.

11. brushbuster

brushbuster

User dependant, I have had septic systems all my life. Normally with a full house hold and a properly described tank and field 3-5 years. My wife and I had a 4 bedroom house with 4and1/2 baths, with a 1500 gal tank. we could have lived in that house for 20 years before needing a pump job. We sold it after living in it for 15 years and we had it pumped once, and the guy said we didn't need it.

JUSTCATCHINUM, d_rek and FREEPOP like this.
  12. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

If your system is well designed and properly sized you may never have to pump it. A couple things people do wrong with septics....never put anything in the septic tank that doesn't go through you besides TP. No baby wipes or "flushable wipe" no garbage disposal etc.. some people add on to their home and cause issues. Or run a daycare etc.. If your house was a 3 bedroom home when built and was designed for 4 people it may have required 400 ft of drain in your soil type. You add a couple bedrooms and add water usage for 2 more people you could have an issue. My buddy's wife started running a daycare after 20 yrs of no septic issues. She had 12 kids a day flushing toilets. Added an extra washer and dryer to keep up with laundry.....this caused all sorts of issues with his septic.

My father has been in his home 47 yrs without ever pumping his tank. I have been in mine 18 yrs without pumping it.

d_rek likes this.
  13. d_rek

d_rek

Good to know. We don’t have a disposer and the only solids it receives are human waste, TP, and water food is small enough to find its way down the trap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. JUSTCATCHINUM

JUSTCATCHINUM

We use strainer baskets in the kitchen sinks to trap the "water food".

12Point likes this.
  15. d_rek

d_rek

Oops I meant “whatever food” lol... yes we use strainers too but some of it makes its way down there regardless. Not big chunks just stuff small enough to get through the trap holes. I figure it can’t be any worse than the damage the old lady does after her “protein” shakes LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JUSTCATCHINUM likes this.