close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Seney outing

Discussion in 'Upper Peninsula Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by cruiseplanner1, Aug 12, 2017.

1. cruiseplanner1

cruiseplanner1

Just got back from a four day fishing trip in the UP. Water was high again as last year. What surprised us the most was how the high waters have channeled the river where I have fished for over forty years. Spots that were not knee deep and had rock where you could see the bottom are not about three or four feet deep channeled in the center. And these go on for a long way downstream. Also with the ground saturated as bad as it is there were so many white pines and other trees blown over and exposing large areas of sand on the banks. There were places where trees fell on top of trees in the river. Never seen anything like it before. We did not catch many younger fish at all and wonder if the high waters the last two years has had an adverse effect on young of the year? At 62 do not know if I will be fishing long enough to see the recovery here. Tons of sugar sand in the river where the channels end and hard to walk through. When you get to the end of a sand run you will step down about a foot onto the hard pan again. Hope it gets blown off that gravel some way or another. We caught the least amount of fish ever but did manage a few nice brookies. Mosquitos were way down but the no see um's made up for that. Kind of feeling bad about the river and contemplating fishing further west in the future for a while. Still is always fun to get up there.

2. Quig7557

Quig7557

I've not been back up there since June because of the constant high water. I was hoping it may have dug out some channels in the river but didn't think about trees going over and added sand. Could you tell me what river had the new trees tipped over, pm if they are unmentionable.

The new soft sand could be relocated from the scouring out of the deep runs. If it pushes it to the side, and they get some kind of growth to stabilize them, this could be beneficial.

So in your opinion, this high water is making the rivers worse in the long run, as far as structure, sand and depth?

itchn2fish likes this.

3. cruiseplanner1

cruiseplanner1

I am not fisheries biologist by any means but a stream needs some shallower flat beds for the younger fish to spend a couple years I was told by one in the west UP. And many of the holes that would be along the banks are now quiet water and filled with sand under their tag alders while all of the current is flowing straight down the middle like a ditch. I think when you get closer to Seney there will be enough bends to slow that flow and it will be more like normal. Wish I would have taken the camera to photograph the banksides and show the DNR and TU guys in that area. Always have been a tree or two let loose but nothing like this year.

itchn2fish likes this.
  4. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Seems like the fishing will be great in a few years .

itchn2fish likes this.