Seed germination question

Discussion in 'Wildlife Habitat' started by folpak, Mar 10, 2018.

1. folpak

folpak

I stored a bag of chestnuts in my garage over the winter. I noticed as I was doing some research that they recommend storing in the fridge with damp peat moss.
    Is there a good possibility that they will germinate or is there no chance due to improper storage?

2. Jay1977

Jay1977

I think moisture’s is the key but they might of gotten too dry to get a good start sprouting out of shell. I think the soften she’ll helps in pushing that growth out of it but maybe you get lucky and most will live

3. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Most seeds respond to very cool as apposed to freezing temps for optimal germination in Michigan best to cover all in heavy mulch then take some off as spring arrives .

4. folpak

folpak

I don’t know if this helps but I busted one open. It feels like a piece of rubber, definitely not dry at all.

Attached Files:

hear fishie fishie likes this.
  5. folpak

folpak

Attached Files:

6. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Pic 1 looks good usually frozen nuts take on a grey color but do a test for sure .

7. finahol

finahol

Jackson when I have to...Barryton when I can!
    I store in fridge in damp peat moss. There is a fine line between moist and molding. Any I have left in fridge dry have shriveled inside shell and aren't viable. That said I have not tried freezing any. Only way to find out is to try. Put them in some moist warm soil and see if they germinate within a few weeks. They can be finicky with fluctuating temps and moisture levels. Good luck.

folpak likes this.
  8. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

Seeds are either 'orthodox' or 'recalcitrant'.

Orthodox seeds should be stored completely dry, completely clean with no excess organic material, in tightly sealed containers. Many species have seeds which can be stored for years and even decades this way.

Chestnut seeds, like acorns, are Recalcitrant seeds. This means they are sensitive to becoming too dry. They can be stored in moist and cool conditions, generally only for about one winter at best.

I would soak these Chestnuts in water for several hours, drain them, and place them shallowly under some soil. You could try putting several in a single large pot and then if any do manage to germinate, transplant out any multiples.

All seed germination questions for woody plants are probably answered in the "Woody Plant Seed Manual", published by the U.S. Forest Service:

https://www.fs.fed.us/rm/pubs_series/wo/wo_ah727.pdf

- is just one link to it; that one is for the entire 1,000+ page document in a single window. There are several ways to access it online if you Google the four words of the title, including by chapters, which group species by Latin binomial and the letters of the alphabet.

folpak likes this.