Seed awns and the Pheasants Forever project?

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by sgc, Nov 18, 2020.

1. miruss

miruss

I agree with gamekeeper this thing is way over blown just like that covid virus I mean hell the chances of dying are very very slim! The only people that need to worry are those with underlying health problems! you know like those dog owners that can't tell good weeds from bad weeds .

2. sgc

sgc

What a
    Wow, what a jump in reasoning!

3. birdhntr

birdhntr

If your worried about grass awns and it makes you fearful then hang up your vest.There are so many other fears you best stay home.

4. sgc

sgc

Dont have a hunting dog at this time and dont live in southern mi. Where its a problem, just doesnt make any sense!

5. birdhntr

birdhntr

Just for the record this was a general statement and not directed to anyone specifically.
    My grandfather had a saying "If your afraid to ride a horse then don't ride one"

6. fordman1

fordman1

But they offer it and they don't have too, they have other mixes to sell. If people want a mix with bad stuff in it they can find it from other distributers not PF.

7. RCA DOGS

RCA DOGS

They offer it to those people enrolled in CRP. Every state has a mix required for there CRP and yes PF will sell it to them. They also have mixes without the seeds. Your beef should be with CRP requiring it not with a habitat organization supplying it. Quite frankly it does provide good cover for pheasants. CRPs main goal is not pheasants or dogs but protecting soil and water. PF just uses it as a tool to provide habitat for birds.

8. birdhntr

birdhntr

The real demise or death of a bird dog is the host.
    No birds would then mean no need for bird dogs

9. P. colchicus

P. colchicus

I work in the Ag sector and sit on the NRCS Michigan Technical committee, which is just a group of Ag/natural resource stakeholders who advise NRCS and FSA on Michigan-specific farm Bill stuff. I can tell you that attempts are being made to update these mix requirements, and dropping the mean seeds (specifically Virginia Wild Rye) from the required list is something that we’re pushing for. Unfortunately these changes happen slowly, but the discussion is ongoing. Virginia Wild rye is in there to begin with because it’s a cool season grass that behaves more like our native warm season grasses - thick-stemmed, tall, and clumpy - but grows extensively in the early years of a planting when the warm seasons are still devoting much of their energy to root production. So it does provide good habitat, and quickly. I think the idea that PF should stop offering seed for CRP plantings over this is laughable, but I agree that they could do a better job advertising these mixes as specifically for CRP so folks buying seeds for other types of projects know that they can pick a mix without these species.

I actually bought some seed from PF a few years back for some on-farm testing we were doing, and I called up their seed department and asked for one of their MI CRP mixes without the Wild rye. They happily customized the mix for me.

RCA DOGS likes this.
  10. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog

I can't believe that there are upland hunters that seem to think this is OK....

sgc likes this.
  11. birdhntr

birdhntr

I can't believe that bird hunters put dogs through all the risks and abuse out there but see this as the deal breaker.
    Has anyone listened to PF podcast #59.
    I truly feel that this is blown way out of proportion.
    I believe the internet stream adds to it as well.

RCA DOGS likes this.
  12. fishstruction

fishstruction

It’s been a while since I listened to it but think towards the end it puts a nice perspective on how low of a risk your dog has to have an issue with a “mean seed”. Also all the other dangers out there as described above. One of the best pieces of advice given in previous post I’ve seen was to brush your dog while doing a tailgate check to help eliminate any issues. I’m 36 and have had a bird dog or two since I was 18 and have been around bird dogs since I was a young kid and have luckily never had an issue nor any of my hunting buddies or acquaintances. This includes hunting all over mi and out west. As mentioned above many many other things that are probably going to cause a problem. It’s good to be aware of the potential and be diligent in your tailgate checks but to be paranoid or scared about these should never overcome the enjoyment of upland hunting.

13. RCA DOGS

RCA DOGS

Of coarse we all would prefer CRP not use it, but will it keep me from putting down a dog to hunt? No. Do I blame a habitat organization like Pheasant Forever? No. I manage the risk the best I can and accept I can’t control everything.

14. michiganmaniac

michiganmaniac

20201129_093229.jpg
    This is a picture of my setter Asher. Youll notice his left eye is a different shade than his right eye. Thats because his right eye got punctured by a hawthorne and the tip of it broke off in his eye, and it is now embedded inside if it. The medical bills cost me thousands and even worse, he almost died. The vet says he most likely has very limited vision in that eye.

At a habitat project a couple springs ago, my rgs chapter planted many fruit bearing trees/shrubs which included thornapple. Does that mean RGS hates hunting dogs and it is a conspiracy? Of course not. I still personally have no aversion to hunting thornapple.

As many others have stated, dogs can get hurt in a million ways.

I always thoroughly check my dog after hunting, and get him the best medical care available when he is sick/injured. But to not hunt him because of concerns of injury would be cruel to him. Because I love him, I take him hunting!

skidoojc, homemadespud and RCA DOGS like this.
  15. birdhntr

birdhntr

Chase is 14 and had a similar incident involving head trauma and knocked the lense loose.He also goes into seizures if he runs hard.He has been benched for eleven years due to the fact he simply hit his head running.
    20201129_151222.jpg
    My two shorthairs Dixie and Annie caught parvovirus before the rounds of vaccines were done.They were lifeless within two days.I spent thousands then finished the treatment including intravenous injection for another week.
    I also lost a puppy under odd circumstances previous to Dixie and Annie.
    She was part of the gang and would sleep with the boys like it was there mother.One day I came home from work and let them out.I heard a big dog bark mean and the puppy cried running away. I went out and picked her up.Her neck started to swell suddenly so I ran to the vet.He couldn't figure it out but it was not blood.There was no mark at all..Then he heard something in the stethoscope and said you need to hurry to blue pearl.
    She progressively got worse and I stared flying down the road.She crawled into my lap and stared at me.1 minute from blue pearl and she closed her eyes and stopped breathing.I was heartbroken.Devastated.They tried there best but I was to late.I wish I knew about blue pearl and went straight there because of the time wasted.They couldn't ventilate her.It was leaking under her skin.
    The medical examination was that she had a tiny tracheal tear from the bite.
    She was a beautiful dog.She had a keen nose and would carry it high a 100 yards and find things like a turtle, dead bird,and twice she found eggs.
    She was my daughter's best friend and they were joined at the hip.That was the hardest phone call I have ever made in my life.The emotions were unbearable.
    Fast forward 6 years.
    The two males are still alive and I have brought Dixie, Annie,and Penny in to our home with no issues but I was concerned to say the least and all is good and I'm having the time of my life currently.
    Three of my best pointers today.Two 6 year old ace shorthairs with game and a setter pup that is a shining star at the moment.
    I have evolved into the live like I was dying mentality and the dogs get spoiled.If a dog or I dies I will have no regrets and always strive to do what we love.Hunt birds.

captainshotgun likes this.