Seed awns and the Pheasants Forever project?

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by sgc, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Kevin Moeller

Kevin Moeller

IF?

2. RCA DOGS

RCA DOGS

Sticks kill dogs too. Every year we hear about a dog getting a stick through its chest and dying. Should we disband RGS for encouraging forest cutting?

Every time we put a dog down there is a risk. Cars, cliffs, snakes, sticks and yes mean seeds. It up to the dog owners to be able to identify the risk and minimize it. Learn to steer clear of risk and do post run check ups. I had a dog killed by a raccoon years ago. Hated it. I’ve also learned from that tragedy of how to avoid it.
    I will say it again. Pheasant Forever does not support putting mean seeds in grass mixes. It is the Federal Government that requires it. Petition the USDA.
    I can’t understand why hunters have a issue with a group trying to increase habitat at no cost to them unless they wish to join?
    BTW. On my crowing survey route, pheasant numbers are increasing over the last few years.

michgundog, ab5228 and FNC like this.

3. 2ESRGR8

2ESRGR8

Dr. Pat McInteer

sgc likes this.
  4. birdhntr

birdhntr

I'd probably put blue/green algae at the top.Stagnant water,
    heat,phosphorus combined with nitrogen is the highest risk and comes on fast due to Liver failure and cardiac arrest.
    It's common for people to let or lead there dogs to water underestimating the risks.
    I had a dog hit by a rattlesnake here at my mom's place maybe 10 years ago.I still hunt it regularly for grouse without a second thought.We drive 80 miles an hour and hunt alone with a loaded firearm over a dog ripping through the slashing's/woods around an abundance of wildlife that can inflict great bodily harm at or around any corner.
    Risk is a natural death. It is a part of life in every aspect in the natural world and we are drawn to it by human nature as we belong to it calling us from within ourselves.

michgundog likes this.
  5. fishstruction

fishstruction

There is a good episode on grass awns and other hazards bird dogs encounter on, On the wing Podcast episode 59.

6. fordman1

fordman1

I have complained to PF numerous times about there mix with mean seeds. Howard and others just make up excuses on why they need it in there mix. I say that mix should not be used by them at all.

sgc likes this.
  7. RCA DOGS

RCA DOGS

CRP requires it not PHEASANT FOREVER

8. sgc

sgc

Better not to plant on CRP than plant seeds harmful to dogs! CRP requiring it is not an excuse. Just dont get the reasoning behind this.

9. michiganmaniac

michiganmaniac

The coalition for reason on this site is growing very weak...buy yourself a brush for your dog and go hunting. The fact that PF doing habitat work is somehow being portrayed as a bad thing is absurd.

RCA DOGS, birdhntr and Gamekeeper like this.
  10. fordman1

fordman1

A brush won't work in the eye, up the nose, down the throat.

11. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

Paranoia knows no bounds. There are a whole bunch of things, that ultimately lead people away from Bird dog‘s.

After 50 years with dogs, and only one with a foot injury that may or may not have been caused by potentially a piece of wheat stubble (but I have also lost a couple dogs to car injuries), I can say that the whole seed thing is right up there with the other stupid stuff that makes owning a bird dog so unpleasant for the paranoid, that they drop out of the hobby.
    For comparison, I expect annual encounters with porcupines.

Being a hunting dog is hard. They chase their nose. Their nose can’t tell a bad weed from a good one. An owner can, so maybe a person can learn to identify them and steer their dog away from them on the occasion that they think they might see one. That might be enough to change the risk from one out of 1 million, to one out of 5 million. Right up there with being struck by lightning while you’re taking a piss.

So yes, because of decades of experience, I think this whole thing is overblown and I think it’s mostly promoted to generate eyeballs, YouTube hits, and promote conversation about magazine articles.

birdhntr likes this.
  12. sgc

sgc

I cant share the link, but if you go to the Michigan Beaglers site on FB and read the post by Rachel Lucas you'll see how bad this stuff is.

13. birdhntr

birdhntr

I believe this is the promotion that gamekeeper mentioned.
    The internet information stream makes things larger than life.
    I have been at it for well over 30 years.
    I have owned fast dogs with reckless abandonment, dogs less agile(somewhat clumbsy).then dogs that will take on any cover imaginable (briars, stubble, corn, horrendous clear cuts, autumn olive) and lengthy at that.
    Between training, conditioning, scouting, and hunting I can say I probably hit around 800 to 1000 hrs a year.
    I have experienced sprains,concussions, heat stroke,skin tears,punctures,eye injuries, a dislocated leg,barbwire,lacerations, car hits,a rattlesnake bite, coon damage,groundhog damage,and porcupines I can't even count.
    Even a nasty ice auger cut.
    I'm sure I could think of more.
    However I have not encountered a mean seed issue yet.
    All my dogs lived past 14 except one that died at nine.
    I have multiple dogs at a time for my recreational passion.
    That alone is enough to scare someone from putting a dog to the ground I suppose then.
    To be fair this thread title should be about the Federal government's seed program and not PF.The government institute's this as their land restoration seed package.
    Pics of the last injury Nov 9 foot swells twice the size,then it festered out by the time I came home,the 13th she layed down an incredible run. 20201110_153825.jpg 20201109_212002.jpg
    She hunted 3 days prior and was probably carrying on with it with no signs of discomfort.
    I'll add that rattlesnakes are at highland and ionia field trial grounds.

Attached Files:

RCA DOGS likes this.
  14. RCA DOGS

RCA DOGS

On The Wing podcast episode 59 by Pheasant Forever. Listen to this to understand there stand better.

sorry I am not smart enough to make a link.

15. sgc

sgc

She lost 3 dogs and describes how bad it is. Wow!