Seed awns and the Pheasants Forever project?

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by sgc, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Kevin Moeller

Kevin Moeller

IF?

2. RCA DOGS

RCA DOGS

Sticks kill dogs too. Every year we hear about a dog getting a stick through its chest and dying. Should we disband RGS for encouraging forest cutting?

Every time we put a dog down there is a risk. Cars, cliffs, snakes, sticks and yes mean seeds. It up to the dog owners to be able to identify the risk and minimize it. Learn to steer clear of risk and do post run check ups. I had a dog killed by a raccoon years ago. Hated it. I’ve also learned from that tragedy of how to avoid it.
    I will say it again. Pheasant Forever does not support putting mean seeds in grass mixes. It is the Federal Government that requires it. Petition the USDA.
    I can’t understand why hunters have a issue with a group trying to increase habitat at no cost to them unless they wish to join?
    BTW. On my crowing survey route, pheasant numbers are increasing over the last few years.

ab5228 and FNC like this.

3. 2ESRGR8

2ESRGR8

Dr. Pat McInteer

sgc likes this.
  4. birdhntr

birdhntr

I'd probably put blue/green algae at the top.Stagnant water,
    heat,phosphorus combined with nitrogen is the highest risk and comes on fast due to Liver failure and cardiac arrest.
    It's common for people to let or lead there dogs to water underestimating the risks.
    I had a dog hit by a rattlesnake here at my mom's place maybe 10 years ago.I still hunt it regularly for grouse without a second thought.We drive 80 miles an hour and hunt alone with a loaded firearm over a dog ripping through the slashing's/woods around an abundance of wildlife that can inflict great bodily harm at or around any corner.
    Risk is a natural death. It is a part of life in every aspect in the natural world and we are drawn to it by human nature as we belong to it calling us from within ourselves.

5. fishstruction

fishstruction

There is a good episode on grass awns and other hazards bird dogs encounter on, On the wing Podcast episode 59.