Searching for the perfect Ultralight float rod?

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Iron_Drifter, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Iron_Drifter

Iron_Drifter

Im new to this forum, but I came here looking for help. I mainly Centerpin fish for trout (Salmon, Steelhead, and Inland Browns). I have perfect setups for Salmon and steelhead (5 and 4.5 inch pins) with 13’6” rods. But I’m looking for an inland brown trout float/Centerpin rod. I’d prefer a 10-11 ft ultralight rod that will have good bend with 12-15 inchers, haul in the occasional 16-20 inchers, and not make the 8-11 inchers feel like a minnow. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated!

slowpaya and Gamekeeper like this.
  2. PunyTrout

PunyTrout Staff Member Mod

:Welcome:

You might consider building a custom rod if you're looking for an ultra-light that will still be in that length you want. I see that Rainshadow has a rod blank that is a 10 foot 8 inch 5 wt. I'd be willing to bet that it would still allow for smaller fish to put a bend in the rod.

Here's a link for the REVF1085-4

http://www.rainshadowrodblanks.com/product-line/revelation-2-switch-4-piece/

http://store.hookhack.com/Rainshadow-Revelation-Switch-Rod-Blank-108-5wt/productinfo/REV10854/

Also check out the IMMCP110M-4TC

http://www.rainshadowrodblanks.com/product-line/immortal-centerpin/

We also have a Centerpin forum. I can move this thread there if you like.

Trout King likes this.

3. Fishnaked2206

Fishnaked2206

Best bet is having a rod built. Euro nymphing style fly blank with spinning guides would probably work perfect. Other option is the Lamiglas Closer 4-8 lb model. It’s a bit longer than what you mentioned but still might work great. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss any further.

slowpaya likes this.
  4. Trout King

Trout King

Agree with the fly blank idea, but the closer is the most overpriced rod on the market, imo, though Lami makes great rods.

Edit: most overpriced other than modern G Loomis.

foxfire69, troutguy26 and riverbob like this.
  5. wyandot

wyandot

I own a trout pin built on that blank. It works okay, but I wouldn't call it ideal or Ultralight.

PunyTrout and Trout King like this.
  6. PunyTrout

PunyTrout Staff Member Mod

Thanks for the informed opinion. I was flipping through a rod building catalog when I saw the OP and thought I would mention it as an option based on the specs.

I have an old Scott 11' 9" 6 wt. That works for me.

Many years ago I had 10' 6" 6 wt. Built for me. Unfortunately, it grew legs and 'walked away' when I graciously left it at a friend's cabin in case someone needed a rod. :sad:

jmaddog8807 and wyandot like this.
  7. Trout King

Trout King

That 11'9 sounds like a greqt float rod for river/stream trout. Probably a ball on small river steelhead.

Funny how things "walk away" when circumstances change...been through that before.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  8. wyandot

wyandot

The absolute best of the best trout pins I built were built with 11ft. 2-4lb. CTS Affinity float blanks. They're very light, very crisp and just about ideally suited to present small floats to stream trout on light leaders. However, they're expensive and custom built to order in New Zealand, not what I'd call an ideal mixture for stumbling through the pucker-brush along our river banks. I've noticed several different 3-4wt. 11ft. switch blanks advertised on E-bay in the $50 range. Once again, probably not an "ideal" float rod blank, but it's affordable, 11ft. long and would probably fit the bill of "ultralight". If I was to build another one, that's the route I would go.

9. Fishnaked2206

Fishnaked2206

Fully built rods maybe, but the components on those things aren’t cheap. I’ve built several and you’re at almost $7 per guide for the recoils. Adds up quick. Crazy thing is I get the closer blanks for almost $40 less than Rainshadow RX8/Immortal blanks.

10. pinhead

pinhead

I used an Xi from Hook and Hackle. It's a 8wt 4pc, built for float. I can say that blank in a lighter class may be what you are looking for. Super light, good backbone, fast action, and my 8wt plays nice with the smaller trout and has more than enough for the 10+ pounders. A 6 or 7wt may be what your looking for, I can say I am very happy with my 8wt. It's a 10-6

slowpaya likes this.
  11. Treven

Treven Banned

Have you fished one of these? I have one. 20" trout and bigger, up to steelhead, without any issue. I would not consider this rod an UL trout rod by any means...

OP, my UL trout rod is a 10'-6" St. Croix Avid that was custom wrapped. I consider this a fine trout rod and have had Erie Steelhead whip my butt with it. It's rated 2-6lb with a moderate action. 4lb leads are it's sweet spot, though it can handle 2lb and 6lb if you do your part.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Trout King likes this.
  12. Iron_Drifter

Iron_Drifter

Thank you for all the replies! Went ahead with the 10’6” St. Croix 2-6 lb soft action rod. Used it this weekend and it worked just fine! I wouldn’t say it was perfect (I’m a perfectionist haha), but better than most “non custom” options. May build an UL on a CTS 2-4 or 2/3 wt Spey rod down the rod.

*Hauled in this nice 16 inch inland this weekend and it had a real nice bend to the rod, could definitely handle 20 inchers.

Attached Files:

flyrodder46, Trout King and BMARKS like this.
  13. Treven

Treven Banned

Good lookin' brownie treat!

Did you do the SCII Wild River or the SCIII Avid?