Screening

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by HuntingCPA, Oct 24, 2020.

1. StevenJ

StevenJ Inscrutable Mastermind Premium Member

So, that fits with the fact that you had babies. And they will take off from here on out.

Are you making your comment #12 to say that yours are doing well, or that it is slow growing them.

Yours will take off much faster from here on in.

What are you doing with them? Location and purpose? Did you cage them? Did they have any browsing?

Once they have a good root establishment they will take off.

jparks02 likes this.
  2. shell waster

shell waster

One of my neighbors blinds overlooked our field..they weren't do anything illegal but they constantly hunted there so they would bust deer in the am and pm, deer had them patterended and would only use field at night. .I planted a great variety of spruce, Jack pine and hybrid poplar near the property line. The poplar grew crazy at the start, I selectively cut some when dormant and they ran root runners onto theres and ours. I killed the runners, they didnt...now they have a follow field of hybrid poplar and i have 15 foot pine and spruce screen....the poplar are about 30 ft high...took 5 years but now they can't see much, few more and the view will be zero. What I found surprising is the neighbors didnt maintain his field...my guess is he's going to cut some shooting lanes

jparks02 likes this.

3. Fordguy

Fordguy

Willows tend to grow pretty fast, and the "austree hybrid willows" are supposed to be some of the fastest. However, I planted a plain old weeping willow cutting close to the hybrid willows and it made it to 7' in its first year. It also started out as a 1' cutting. Im just thinking that some of the local willows that are growing wild might be better adapted to local soil types and grow faster earlier. I have a few trees picked out that I'll be taking cuttings from this winter to test that theory.

jparks02 and Waif like this.
  4. Fordguy

Fordguy

Also- I'm pretty sure the boasted 10-12' in a year is possible for the hybrid willows, just not likely unless you have perfect conditions. If you want them for screening, letting them grow a single long skinny trunk isn't what you should do anyway, at least not in most circumstances.

jparks02 likes this.
  5. StevenJ

I had perfect conditions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Fordguy

Fordguy

Lol. Lucky you. Oklahoma red clay is not perfect, but give them another year or two and I'm hopeful they'll do what I intended.

jparks02 and Waif like this.
  7. Waif

Waif

8 foot in two years seems like a great gain.
    More so when measured against three years ago!

I failed first try with trees. Should try again. Sigh.
    My Miscanthus is starting to slow , but four to six feet goes far in a screen. At least from a deers perspective. And I planted it thin.

Your willow seems interesting. More so when likely to remain established for time vs dying off prematurely.

jparks02 likes this.
  8. StevenJ

Miscanthus Giganteus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ckosal, MN_DeerHunter and jparks02 like this.
  9. Fordguy

Fordguy

They do seem to be healthy. This winter I plan to cut them all back to 4' and use the tops for cuttings in a second row 15 feet or so from the first. In doing that hopefully the first row will bush out and get thicker- as well as having faster growth in its 3rd year.

jparks02 likes this.
  10. Fordguy

Fordguy

I've considered miscanthus, primarily along the property line where the neighbor has his driveway. I've read about it spreading, and I don't want a fight when and if it makes it into his lawn.

jparks02 likes this.
  11. StevenJ

What?

Miscanthus Giganteus doesn't spread. The seed heads are sterile.

It only expands it's base to three or 4 feet. And stays in place.

jparks02 likes this.
  12. jparks02

jparks02

What spacing did you use. Well done!

13. StevenJ

8 feet apart. Two rows of 20 hybrid willows. 40 total.

I was ambitious. I spent $6 apiece for square sleeved, rooted hybrid willows from Karsten's Nursery. I planted them into pots and grew them from spring to fall and then put them in the ground and then caged them. Some on the edges that I didn't cage got browsed heavily by the deer.

I can't hardly remember the name, but there is a nursery in the midwest that has them for $2 and nearly $1 on sale. They are a nursery that sends out catalogs in the spring.

The bottom branches can be harvested for propagation. Usually just for fun, I take some cuttings and throw them in a vase with water and let them sprout and grow roots for a month, and then put them in pots. I do the same with salix caprea and with red osier dogwood. The end up looking pretty indoors in the spring.

jparks02 likes this.
  14. Fordguy

Fordguy

I know it doesn't spread via seed, the post I read suggested that rhizome spread- like trees suckering from roots- was possible.

jparks02 likes this.
  15. StevenJ

It stays tight. And doesn't spread much. Depends on how man inches you are talking about.

jparks02 likes this.