close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Scouting Video Late Split | Made The Cold Alot More Bearable

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Jerrit Parrish, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Jerrit Parrish

Jerrit Parrish

I'm sure those exact words were said when Google earth was released...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Mallat Bawb and A.M. General like this.
  2. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

Probably true. Still cool footage I guess I'm just saying careful didn't officers may take it a different way.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018

3. just ducky

just ducky

Yes, cool video. As far as legality, I think it depends which CO, or which DNR administrator, that you talk to. The wildlife conservation order states that you cannot use "aircraft" to "aid in the taking of game". Obviously that rule has been in place for years for conventional aircraft. However "Aircraft" is not defined in the WCO, and I'm guessing some CO's, and/or some judges, would consider a drone an aircraft. I may be wrong. This is a really good question.

4. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

@ajkulish slapped me around a bit and told me to lighten up, but it is an interesting question

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

ajkulish likes this.
  5. just ducky

just ducky

I seem to recall some were starting to use drones for deer scouting, and some of the deer organizations got bent outta shape over it. Who knows? I'm surprised no one is calling the "unethical" card on scouting with a drone, legal or not. Think about it...some places are nearly impossible to get to by foot, quad, boat, etc. But with a drone? Easy peasy. So some are sure to call this unethical. But like I said...a great question.

6. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

I'm on the fence, tech and gadgets are cool but there is something said about preserving... and I don't wanna sound like that guy that never wants any change that won't benefit myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Jerrit Parrish likes this.
  7. flighthunter

flighthunter

Unless you had shotgun with you and actively hunting, I don't see how this could ever be seen as aiding in taking game from a legal standpoint. Rallying birds with a drone on the other hand would be against the law. "scouting" is a hunters term for "bird watching". you may want to wear your patagonia jacket and hat to look the part of a bird watcher, just to dot your i's and cross your t's.

another can of worms would be to use it to photograph/film hunts.

8. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Cool video Jerrit, thanks for posting here.

Jerrit Parrish likes this.
  9. Jerrit Parrish

Jerrit Parrish

I actually found these birds while driving, and so did the rest of the county. :)

Just thought with the season being out, and so many birds interacting in one centralized area, that it would be cool to share a "birds eye view" with people i know would appreciate it.

I strongly agree that they should NOT be used for the taking of game (I.E. finding a buck in a field and or chasing him to you or sneaking over to that area) - very similar to Alaska's law on flying one day and hunting another...

But I do think that these little gadgets will benefit conservation rather than have a negative impact for more reasons than just low-impact scouting.

• Land managers can rely on faster data on their land, or planning future projects or food plots without having to rely on outdated satellite imagery. (I provide these services if anyone wants a fly over)
    • Another would be overlooked but I am thinking in deer recovery. I use my dog to find wounded deer for people that need help or even just my own. I have had many experiences where we grid searched, before the dog was around, and wished i could look into the tall grass from above without having to ruin the entire area.

Mind you this isn't perfect but just an idea.

ajkulish likes this.
  10. Mallat Bawb

Mallat Bawb

Thanks for sharing Jerrit! You'll always have opinions on guys that don't want to adapt to current technology. I see their point, but at the same time if it benefits you then why not use it.

11. Buddwiser

Buddwiser

I would think CO's will find a use for them sooner or later too if they haven't done so already.

12. ajkulish

ajkulish

Only reason i am cool with it was because it wasnt during hunting season and he wasnt planning on shooting the ducks the day he got the footage. Had he just been sitting in his truck with the heat cranking and was flying around looking for a hole to jump shoot, id be pretty pissed.

But dont worry, ill smack you around no matter the issue at hand. Ill always jump on the other side of the fence :)

13. just ducky

just ducky

I was thinking the same thing. Great tool for CO's

14. just ducky

just ducky

People can complain about technology, but I'm old enough to remember when "trail cameras" were just coming out, and many people said that was unethical and cheating. My how times have changed.

15. Duckman Racing

Duckman Racing

Mud motors, 3.5" shells, motorized/spinning wing decoys, etc., etc. Anytime a new technology comes out that gives an advantage to the hunter there will be people who complain and call it unethical.

This one in particular is a pretty dumb argument. I have seen plenty of hunting shows that use drone footage of their hunts. They're not chasing game to hunters with the damn drone, just using it for a new/different camera angle. Using it for scouting is really no different than using a trail camera that sends pictures to your cell phone. You're getting instant feedback from both without having to step foot in the woods. And saying one of these drones is an aircraft is like claiming an RC car is a vehicle. We're not talking about the drones the USA uses to drop bombs in third world countries, we're talking about a toy that fits in your hand.