close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Scottish Salmon Flies

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by DecoySlayer, Oct 22, 2017.

1. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Here are a few pictures of salmon flies I have tied. Tubes, doubles and trebled. The cheeks on some, If you can see them are real, pre-ban jungle cock. I can't find my "Full Dress Iron" box. I will post those if I find them. KIMG0263.jpg KIMG0263.jpg KIMG0262.jpg KIMG0262.jpg KIMG0260.jpg

Attached Files:

Steve and Black Ghost like this.
  2. gunrod

gunrod Mods

I've never tied them or fished them myself but must sa they came out prett nice.

3. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

4. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I wish I could tie again, but between my hands shacking and my no longer perfect eyesight, it's not worth wasting the time.

I enjoyed fishing in the UK. I belonged to a fly fishing club while I was there. It was the least expensive way to get reasonable fishing as well as being a good way to meet other fisherman.

I fished that beat on the Dee a few times, only caught two salmon, but caught lots of sea trout and native browns.

I did fish the River Tweed, for 3 days, just to do it. Again, I could not afford a good beat, and only caught browns and sea trout, but I did fish it.

There are two rather famous chalk streams in southern England, the Test and the Itchen. I was able to afford 2 days on a beat on the Itchen. Up stream, dry fly only. The fly life was unreal. I could not see my fishing vest for the flies on it.

I must say I really enjoyed my days fishing while I was there.

This is what the Itchen looks like.

https://www.visit-hampshire.co.uk/explore/rivers-and-canals/river-itchen

5. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Some interesting flies, I have only tied a few tube flies but know that they work quite well. Looks like you have experienced something that a lot of us wish that we could experience in our lives. The thread in the cold water forum and the photo of your Atlantic makes it.

D

Black Ghost likes this.
  6. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Thanks, one of the benefits of living in other countries to be sure.

That fish is one of my favorite sporting memories of my life. My first Atlantic, on a fly I tied myself, on a classic Scottish Salmon stream.

Black Ghost likes this.
  7. Black Ghost

Black Ghost

Great memories indeed. All my international business and military trips only got to fly fish once. Vancouver British Columbia for winter steelhead one day. . Is that a Willie Gunn Tube I see there?

Thanks for sharing.

BG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

9. Black Ghost

Black Ghost