close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Say less. Sell more.

Discussion in 'Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)' started by Riva, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Riva

Riva Sponsor

a lonesome area, other Kansans call "out there".
    Virtually every Saturday, I conduct a tasting event where shoppers at grocery and liquor stores sample my limoncello (Sovrano). And, in all humility, I'm pretty darn good at it. I've actually had days where I have sold 300+ bottles over 6 hours. Compare that to hiring a pretty face from a talent agency and expect that person to sell 10-20 bottles over the same amount of time. That's because they're merely presenting, and I'm selling

However, it takes a lot of work to convince a shopper to buy when you probably have 90 seconds of time to tell them the features and benefits surrounding the products such as "what is limoncello?", (it's made in New Zealand as opposed to Italy), 25 gold medals in first 6 years, "how do you drink it?", where do I store it? "what is its shelf life?" "how much does it cost?" And then, I toss in my suggestions like, "Oh, I mix (the original) with iced tea" or, I mix (the cream) with vanilla ice cream". Takes too long and shoppers don't like waiting for "their turn".

These are all good and relevant things, however, I've improved my closing ratio from about 40% Really) to about 65% (REALLY) simply by slugging in this line somewhere during the pitch: "We've only been in the State for about a year now and we're already the #3-selling Limoncello in Michigan. And, this one (the cream) is the #1-selling cream limoncello in Michigan--all during our first year!"

It's an absolute thing of beauty. It tells me that consumers take great confidence in the fact that other consumers have taken the plunge, as evidenced by it being the #1-seller in its category. Proof of the pudding... Yesterday, during this rain storm, I worked a big store on the east side. About a third the number of people in the store than normal. I sold 150+ bottles yesterday.

Tasting event.jpg

Scout 2, FIJI and petronius like this.
  2. Nitro225Optimax

Nitro225Optimax

Yup. There are a lot of studies for human centered design and consumer behavioral economics that show social proof increases sales. The way you did is the more subtle (and correct) way of saying “everyone else is doing it”.

When I get in the office, I’ll grab my PowerPoint presentation on HCD and send it to you. There are little things like did you know that tips for servers increase when the server leaves mints in the tab/bill? By like 50%?! People love gifts. It’s makes them feel more generous. There’s lots of studies surrounding that stuff, including pricing, etc. That’s why the big name brands put stupid little “gifts” on their bottles in the stores. People buy Bacardi just because there is a bottle top pourer attached to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

petronius and Scout 2 like this.

3. Waif

Waif Premium Member

Lemons to lemmings! Great concept.
    (Congrats.)

4. FIJI

FIJI IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives! Premium Member

That's where I bought mine. And no sales pitch. (I'm waiting for that pretty face though)

5. Riva

Riva Sponsor

6. Riva

Riva Sponsor

In the liquor industry, we call these little bottles strapped to a bottle "hitchhikers". And they work. If one particular brand of liquor has a hitchhiker and a similar brand does not, the bottle with the little bottle almost always wins. That is, if the store doesn't yank the little bottle off first and sells it with all the other 50ml bottles. The trouble is to put any kind of incentives merchandise on a bottle, the retailer is required to buy an entire case of that product, versus purchasing just one bottle. Bailey's Irish Cream drops their price for $25 per fifth ever holiday season to $19.99. That's all they need to do.