Saw the strangest thing

Discussion in 'Michigan Non-Game Animals, Plants, and Scenery' started by ESOX, Aug 13, 2020.

1. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mod

My wife and I were out, I said" look at that hawk." It was flying erratically over a field of wildflowers. As it came closer it looked really odd. it passed 15' in front of us and off popped its hitchhiker, it had a bird riding
    on it's back. We both saw it distinctly. It was a black and white bird, too big to be a chickadee, more like woodpecker size. I have seen birds harassing hawks before, but never riding ones back for a hundred yards.

Oldgrandman, Steve, Scout 2 and 4 others like this.
  2. finlander

finlander

3. MichiFishy

MichiFishy

Pretty cool! I had a similar experience, caught these a few weeks back. There were four Eastern King Birds harassing this hawk. I had never seen birds actually ride a hawk either, only dart in and out taking jabs, but these birds would land on her back and pluck feathers for up to 5-7 seconds. Only difference from your story, is that this bird never showed a single sign that the birds were bugging her, not a flinch.

IMG_20200727_105606_538.jpg PSX_20200813_203024.jpg

Oldgrandman, DanP, DanSS26 and 14 others like this.
  4. TK81

TK81 Premium Member

Red Wing blackbirds harass the heck out the hawks around our place. Crows and Starlings to a lesser degree. Never seen one hitch a ride though.

Oldgrandman and ESOX like this.
  5. OH-YEAH!!!

OH-YEAH!!! Premium Member

They’ll ride the hawks to distract them from their nests. Some birds are finishing raising their 2nd broods for the year.

Cool sighting.

Fish Camp 54 likes this.
  6. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

I saw a gul do that to an osprey until he got fed up with it.

6Speed likes this.