Savage 99. 85% Condition. Value?

Discussion in 'Firearm Identification/Value' started by bent barrel, Apr 25, 2013.

1. bent barrel

bent barrel

Picked up a Sav 99. Like to know value. 85% condition.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Ozzman

Ozzman

... makes a rather large difference.

If it is in .358 win, seen them at gun shows sell for $850 in 85%-90% in a heart beat, seen em priced over $1,200.

If rifle is in .300 savage or other caliber, unsure!

3. 9mm Hi-Power

9mm Hi-Power Premium Member

[​IMG]

Pictures would be a great help. Savage manufactured its M99 from 1899 until, I think, 1998, in 15 different calibers and for the .410 shotgun cartridge. An early 85% take down Savage M99 in .22 Savage is worth a hell of a lot more than a late model 99 in 90% condition with a removable magazine, chambered for .308 Winchester and with impressed checkering. Your post is something like: I have a Chevy with a V-8 in nice condition - what's it worth?

Always remember - a seller's 85% condition is a buyer's 70% condition :yikes:. Post some photos and don't be so parsimonious with info. and you'll get much more informative responses to your question.

Hope this helps.

Hoppe's no.10

4. bent barrel

bent barrel

It is in .300 Savage cal. Very good condition. No detachable mag. Wood has some marks from use. Bluing has slight fade around muzzle (no big deal).

5. 9mm Hi-Power

9mm Hi-Power Premium Member

And again:

[​IMG] .

Not trying to give you a hard time about this but...

Savage 99s are very collectible and their prices can vary widely based on a number of things many of which would seem unimportant to non-collectors: When was the rifle made - serial # ???, which model 99 is it? Has it been altered - as in drilled for scope mounts, re-blued.....are you absolutely sure it hasn't been? Is the lever case colored? If so how much case coloring remains? What type of butt plate does it have? Bluing around the muzzle - is it faded or is it worn - there is a difference. Condition of bore? Gunbroker has a number of Savage 99s in 300 Savage caliber with asking prices ranging from $399.95 to $1,195.00 - quite a spread.

Condition is EVERYTHING. "Very Good" can be interpreted in a lot of ways. Your first post said 85% condition - if in fact it is in 85% condition that would take it out of the collector class and push it into a shooter class UNLESS there was something rare or unusual or uncommon about its configuration that might push it back into collectible status - even at 85%. We're not talking about Remington 870s here. Again - photos. Hope this helps.

Hoppe's no. 10

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  6. Grass

Grass

I've seen them at gun shows go for more than that.

7. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

I have several 99's that range from $250 - $2500 in value. A 300 Savage shooter from pre-70's is normally $300-$450 in value. That's about the best I can guess with the info provided.

D

8. GIDEON

GIDEON

Just curious, but who appraised it at 85%

9. FlyGirl

FlyGirl Premium Member

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/34th-Blue-Book-Gun-Values/dp/1936120313/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1368845939&sr=1-1&keywords=blue+book+of+gun+values"]34th Edition Blue Book of Gun Values: S.P. Fjestad: 9781936120314: Amazon.com: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51m4-e4ATFL[/ame]

I would look it up for you, but I need more information guy.

10. karl

karl

"Parsimonious" Great word Hoppe's. I don't always agree with your opinion but I always like reading your posts. Parsimonious, LOL, great word.

11. JDR

JDR

I have a .303 savage M-1899. # 181018 . Octagon barrel. I have the documentation. It shipped out of the factory September 13, 1915. And sent to the A.J. marks co. The 1915 catalog shows it listing for $19.50. I got this info from the savage historian in 1991.
    Excellent bluing on the lever. And no degects or cracks in the stock. Curved round butt plate.

I saw one recently sold for $1,100.00. With no bluing and a chip taken out of the stock. So I'm thinking I'll ask more. I plan on going to some gun shows with it.
    I don't know what my other options are.

12. J-D

J-D

If it has "excelllent bluing on the lever", that's a dead give away to a collector that it has been refinished because they were all case colored.
    Honest wear is better than a refinish to a collector.

13. wadevb1

wadevb1

Finding a "hunter/shooter" 99 Savage in 300 in the $400-500 range isn't difficult.

Too many factors to provide a value without pictures, model, or boss stamp.

I'd like to add an unmolested 250-3000 to my mix.

14. swampbuck62

swampbuck62 Banned

as others have said PICS and YEAR would be helpful.

in other words.......

[​IMG]