Saskatchewan??????????

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Wall-llard Willie, Dec 7, 2017.

1. jwinks

jwinks

I drove by myself. Slept in my truck. Six hours day one, rest of the drive day two. If you have two or three people just drive through the night.

Btw. Don’t underestimate the border crossing, they are very thorough. If you have a DUI in the past 10 years, don’t bother, you can’t enter Canada. They will run background checks on every one. You will need to register your guns on the US side so you can get them back into the US, and then submit a form to register them on the Canadian side as well. They will ask about every thing. You are allowed 200 rds of ammo without paying anything, but they want you to have documentation if you are bringing them back into the US.

LoBrass likes this.
  2. Wall-llard Willie

Wall-llard Willie

Thanks didn't know about the ammo limit.
    I'm well versed in going to canada for fishing but have never gone over with a firearm. I regularly visit Wheatley and Erieau throughout the summer and Simcoe in the winter as well as do remote fishing trips to Northern Ontario and/or Quebec

3. Shlwego

Shlwego

THIS! Talk about a time saver....

4. LoBrass

LoBrass Premium Member

We had a guy who had issues due to a bar fight. Got across but after a very lengthy delay.
    Also, birds coming back must be easy to get to. We had to completely unload our trailer coming home. Could have solved a lot with better packing.

Wall-llard Willie and jwinks like this.
  5. don novicki

don novicki

I drove by myself from Erie PA.. The drive is brutal 1860 miles one way. I drove 1000 miles day one, and then punched it out the next day. I made Fergus Falls Mn. The first day.. I was spent but barely got any sleep due to being wired from that long in the saddle I crossed at the Northern Portal. Big border crossing spot and is open 24 hrs.. At the border they asked me if I had "ever been before a judge for anything". I never have had problems with the we law so I was in and our in about 20 minutes. I took 3 guns with me and they asked why so many and I explained they were all old and brought multiple back ups. They were good with that. I took 4 cases of ammo and they never even asked about it and I. Certainly didn't volunteer anything. Answer their questions, don't volunteer any info. If a yes or no will do it that's all you need to say. They were polite and professional. Coming back into the US I got Joe Prickman and he was a total arse. Made me pull out all my birds and was going to have me empty my truck k but then he got called away and let me pass. If you cross at the Portal get gas well before you get there. There is a convenience store there on the US side and they gouge the **** out of you. If you or any of your party has ANYTHING on your records there is a good chance you will not get in. The Canadians do not let you in if you have been a bad buy. P.S. going around Chicago sucks. Be sure to take lots of change for the toll booths They gouge the crap out of you on the expressway.

6. wavie

wavie

"The Canadians do not let you in if you have been a bad guy."

But the great leader Trudeau, will pay a known ISIS terrorist $10 million because he was treated poorly by our military.

Read the regs well, they got some funky rules. No dark geese hunting in afternoons until after mid October. Snows can b hunted all day. E-callers with snow goose spreads only. Have to b a certain distance to hunt around particular water bodies, greater than 500m from major roads (birds learn this quickly).

Know where u want to cross as some border crossings shut down for the evening. Beware if u drive through or around Moosomin the training headquarters for RCMP. You will get tickected for speeding just 1 mph over posted speeds, unfortunately i know this personally.

7. just ducky

just ducky

a bit of a hijack..sorry...but Chicago tolls are a breeze if you get an EZ Pass from the I-toll people (which by the way is good for many other toll roads across the eastern US). You just go on-line and order one, put a deposit down with a CC, and you're good to go. Put it on your dash, and fly 75 mph through the damn toll booths. It's all electronically tracked, you get regular statements of usage, you can add more $$ instantly, and the BEST part...they charge you like half for the tolls if you use one!!! We go annually to Nodak, so this is an absolute MUST!!! Best thing I EVER did. Thanks to Wingmaster22 for suggesting it many moons ago ;)

8. don novicki

don novicki

I'll have to get an EZ pass for next time. As far as dark geese goes you can hunt them until noon until Canadians Thanksgiving and then after that all day. Kind of a strange rule because there are geese everywhere up there. My gun barrel was literally hot from shooting so many snows each day. The ducks are not plumed out at all. I think it's 8 ducks/day with the only restriction of 4 pinnies/day. So if you diver hunt at all it would be 8 Cans/day or 8BB's Redheads etc.. You also hear about "hunting pressure" up there. Their idea of pressure is laughable compared to what we get here in the states.

Jes2 and HRCHLab like this.
  9. Wall-llard Willie

Wall-llard Willie

Yes I have and use and EZ pass when going to SD only way to go!!!!!!
    I very verse in crossing the boarder, just not for hunting. I worked in Windsor for a year in addition to all the fishing trips we've taken.

10. HRCHLab

HRCHLab

Bird hitch works great on ducks, snows, and Pheasants. But not Canada Geese. IMO

11. jwinks

jwinks

Have you used the bird hitch 2 (with pry bar)?

12. HRCHLab

HRCHLab

I have not.
    Does it do a good job on the Canada Geese?

13. jwinks

jwinks

No idea, but it claims that it will.

14. wavie

wavie

The majority of Canadas you shoot will be small. Never have really gotten into the big birds til much later in the year.

I may have to invest in a hitch.

15. GDLUCK

GDLUCK

we get mainly the big canadas when up there. The bird hitch is really good on snows and ducks. The canadas are tougher to do but if you cut the head off right at body it makes it easier. Using a knife and cutting between the shoulder blade and ribs also helps.

Wall-llard Willie likes this.