Sandhill Crane Season Update

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by Luv2hunteup, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Terry Minzey attended the Far East Coalition meeting yesterday. He felt the season is dead.

2. imjon

imjon

The farmers whose property we hunt would love for us to shoot a bunch. They don't want to get the permits though.
    We'd love to shoot a bunch. I'd love to try the rib eye in the sky.
    Never figured it would happen.
    Like the dove I'd guess there are too many sandhill lovers to overcome. Most of my neighbors love them and get a kick as they walk around our yards which makes trying to convert the neighbors extremely hard.

3. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015

The only people I see at the NRC meetings speaking on the crane season are all the anti’s, dead set against it.

There’s a half dozen anti speakers at every meeting. I don’t recall one hunter or group advocating for a season.

4. MallardMaster

MallardMaster

That's an absolute shame to hear that. I guess I would've expected for all of the various sportsman groups to be represented at an NRC meeting. Why do these groups (that I belong to) exist if they are not doing their part to advocate opportunities for outdoorsmen and outdoorswomen?

5. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015

Well, QDMA and Michigan Bow Hunters are using their 5 minutes for other things.

You know you can show up as an individual, right?

Most the anti’s are stereo type hippies from Family Guy. 65 years old, long beard and pony tail. Their Subaru plastered with pro-Bernie and anti-Trump bumper stickers.

But the anti’s show up. The hunters don’t. If I had 10 minutes to speak, I would put in a plug for a crane season. Unfortunately, I don’t even have time to cover what I want to cover, related to deer regulations. 5 minutes is a lot shorter than you think, when speaking.

jr28schalm likes this.
  6. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Your average person does not see the big flocks of sand hills that cause damage... until they do there won't be much support .Not unlike huge flocks of turkey that invaded New England suburbs .They liked them at first now they hate them and want them gone .

7. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

It sounds like a great opportunity for you to get involved and represent all the groups you belong to at the NRC meetings.

I feel we get more done by meeting the DNR to get a Wildlife Conservation Order written, signed and then presented to the NRC. Without the DNRs support very little gets done without it at the NRC level.

8. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

Didn't I read there are 6-7k Sandhills killed on nuisance permits every year in Michigan. Wonder how many of the anti's know that.

9. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

There was an NRC member on Ask The DNR last night on the NMU PBS station. Someone asked about a crane season and he indicated that he did not recall the Commission ever discussing the issue. FM

10. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Many "anti's" are "paid agitators". Maybe we need to look into doing the same thing.

11. DEDGOOSE

DEDGOOSE

Can't recall how many farmers I've had asking to goose hunt say, "as long as you kill all them #$&+@/ cranes" Outta have them go to the meetings, big burly farmers against these tree hugging wierdos armed with feather ticklers.

12. wpmisport

wpmisport

Best sounding bird when they are flying over. I would like to try one for dinner. Did not know that they caused any damage. Cool looking bird.

13. sourdough44

sourdough44

If MI can’t get a dove hunt, how in the world would there ever be a crane hunt? It’s like the Mtn Lion in CA, no legal hunt but plenty get killed on ‘control’ type permits. They could have a regular season but the non-hunting public would never go for it.

imjon likes this.
  14. bobberbill

bobberbill

When they destroy 80% of you crop fields you don't go to meetings..

JDHunts and sourdough44 like this.
  15. CL-Lewiston

CL-Lewiston

I believe the damage is mostly in SW MI corn fields. The birds like to eat the just sprouted corn seed. The green corn sprout will be about 1/2-1" out of the ground. Where I lived growing up pheasants did the same thing. Theyd go right down the row and get 2/3 of the crop. Had to replant.

Some farmers staryed coating the seed w/ some kind of tarry product and apparently the birds didnt like that. i dont know but that is apparentl not donme or whatever the cranes like.

I didnt know there were 6-7k damage kills on cranes. Ive heard em several times this spring. I saw em 2x between Vienna and Gaylord when we had the Fri 13th snow on the ground. Usually see em when I go to Sault for 22 BR rifle matches, this weekend is first of season. They like to stand in fields and pick bugs, esp just after hay is cut.