SAMSUNG TV ADVICE REQUESTED

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by NATTY BUMPO, Jul 24, 2020.

1. NATTY BUMPO

NATTY BUMPO

Guys/Gals:

We have a 10 yo Samsung LED TV (39") whose screen has suddenly gone dark. Sound works. The HDMI image comes on in the upper left corner and then goes away. TV has always worked excellent. But it is seldom turned on these days.

Anything I should try? Should I try to get it looked at by a TV tech? Or should I just go buy a new TV set? THKS for any advice.

NB

2. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Hdmi image shows up... what do you mean? The little box that indicates what input you're on?

Do you have more than one HDMI input and are maybe trying to connect to the wrong one? Maybe bad cable?

NATTY BUMPO likes this.

3. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

TVs are disposable after they get a few years old unless you have a relative or friend to fix it for you .The repair will cost more than a new one .Plus they are oudated a couple years after you buy it .My Samsung was state of the art 7 years ago now you can buy a much better one for a third of what i paid for it .You should check for obvious issues though .

4. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

New TV's have 3-4 plug in cards and a screen. Around 100 bucks to get a serviceman over, probably a little less to take it in. You got 1/3 of the cost for a new one even before parts. Kiss it good by for 10 good years and go buy a new one.

Petronius and NATTY BUMPO like this.
  5. Waif

Waif

What is your signals source?
    With our cable , there is the cable box and the t.v. that need to be on together.
    Meaning if someone turns "it" off with the remote ,they can shut off both ,or one source.
    That can give just the cable box the signal to turn on when the remotes power with is hit. Leaving screen dark.
    Or it can be the other direction...Still no go/view.

Then there is the source that is changed to run the DVD player. If not put back on the prior source to view cable , no T.V. again.

NATTY BUMPO and sureshot006 like this.
  6. ATKRON65

ATKRON65

Could be LED back lights...mine did the same thing.....A total teardown if that's what it is.....not worth the cost to repair...take the advice others have mentioned....cheaper to purchase a new set..that's what I did ..

NATTY BUMPO likes this.
  7. Eric Bee

Eric Bee

You'll probably pay as much or less than your 10 year old TV than a bigger new one. You'll also get all the new features. Scrap it

tincanary and NATTY BUMPO like this.
  8. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Hold your horses guys, you don't even know for sure its broken

sparky18181, NATTY BUMPO and 6Speed like this.
  9. Gillgitter

Gillgitter

I think you get a free flat screen at best buy if you buy a toaster.

TK81, Steve, tincanary and 4 others like this.
  10. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

I wrote a long post and deleted it. I figured the MS TV techs would solve it like the mask problem.

It's most likely someone hit the input button on the remote, a loose or bad HDMI cable, a bad port (switch to the other one) or the main board the ports are plugged into has failed. The last option is the "buy a new TV choice"....

I love this bar! Lots of advice, some good and some not!

11. eye-sore

eye-sore

Mine locks up from time to time similar to what your describing.......i found a site that recommended holding power button on actual tv for 10 or seconds.......it worked for me.might be worth a shot. Mine happens when xbox or dvd player is turned on before the tv is on. No idea why but it jacks it up

12. FishTales

FishTales

Turn it on and take a flashlight up close to it and see if you can see anything. If you do then it is the backlight that burned out, had it done with several monitors. Basically the same thing. Bulbs are cheap but it does take a tear down to change them.

13. PunyTrout

PunyTrout Staff Member Mods

As others have suggested, it could be a weak link between the couch and the remote control.

TK81, Eric Bee, 6Speed and 1 other person like this.
  14. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Your right .Every once in a while our Dish TV remote will get a button pushed by mistake and it takes a rocket scientist to figure out what happened .Check for obvious issues or get a friend that's tech smart .

6Speed and sureshot006 like this.
  15. hypox

hypox

I've had some luck over the years extending the usage of TV's by giving them a hard smack to bring the screen back on. Smacking location varies per TV.

Forest Meister and sureshot006 like this.