Samsung clothes dryer, not built to be serviced

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by plugger, Oct 4, 2020.

1. trucker3573

trucker3573

The read was not at all reflective of the title, at least to me. Sorry OP but man you robbed me of like a minute of my life I will never get back. I’ve been eye raped....lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. plugger

plugger Premium Member

What would expect to find in a post titled,
    Samsung clothes dryer, not built to be serviced

3. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

We have a pair of Samsung‘s here at the house.

They work fine.

And they are space efficient. Though I think the chimes are kind of stupid.

But a dryer is a big empty box with a heater and a motor that turns a drum.

There’s just not a lot of engineering latitude available for rotating a drum of X size inside of a cabinet of X plus some small amount size.

Consequently, if you’re going to get at the motor or the heater which are in the lower corners of the dryer cabinet, you have got to take the drum out. And that usually involves either taking the top off, or taking the front off. There just aren’t that many ways to get the drum in there or out of there.

So in general, I guess every appliance that is designed to be squeegeed in tightly next to its mate, would qualify as hard to service.

I have to say I got a great chuckle out of the cutting a hole in the cabinet idea.

Normally I would just lay a blanket in front of the thing and tip it forward. Dirty clothes would do in a pinch.

4. plugger

plugger Premium Member

We have taken most appliances apart including dryers but the amount of dismantling this one would of required was a bit beyond reasonable. My wife was an electric/instrument tech, for a while for Dow Chemical so she is pretty use to working on complex and expensive apparatus.

5. Boardman Brookies

Boardman Brookies

This. Got a call from ABC about a year ago saying the warranty on my $250 washer had expired. It was only $125 to add back the warranty. When I told her no her response was. “What are you going to do when the washer breaks” Ummm by a new one. Click

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

DanSS26 likes this.
  6. sullyxlh

sullyxlh

If someone else is paying the utilities the cheap ones are good. Some are a lot more efficient than others but most only see a bottom line price of the unit and those are typically the least efficient to operate.

7. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

How much is a guy willing to pay to have somebody else do his laundry?

In my case it’s a state of the art laundry room with a heated tile floor and a fancy pair of Samsung laundry appliances.
    Ymmv of course lol!

8. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

I have had good luck with Amana and Maytag units.

9. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Half the assets is the general answer.

Gamekeeper likes this.
  10. Fishndude

Fishndude

My wife does our laundry, and I make sure she has good equipment to use. My Father had a commercial laundry when I grew up, and not a top-load washer to be found. She gets a nice front loader, and high quality dryer. My son replaced the bearings on our last front-load washer, and it was a chore - but he did a great job.

11. plugger

plugger Premium Member

The Samsung is a nice dryer if your not working on it. I really like the moisture sensing. Just set it to more dry and it shuts off when the clothes are dry. Big time analytical equipment comes with access panels so you can service most everything easily. Why doesn't a washer, dryer, toaster what ever have provisions for service. As consumers we have voted for glitz at minimum initial cost in place of longevity and serviceability.

12. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

Mike That is easy to figure out. They want you to go buy a new one!!!

Long term reliability does not make for sales. That 36 year old Maytag I mentioned in an earlier post only had 3 service calls in all of that time.