Samsung clothes dryer, not built to be serviced

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by plugger, Oct 4, 2020.

1. plugger

plugger Premium Member

Last night I put a load of wet laundry in our Samsung Dryer that is only a few years old and it would not start. My wife generally does all the repair on house hold appliances and this morning when I got back from picking up a cement mixer she had the dryer apart as much as possible and determined the problem was an idler on the drive belt. In reading online she found out to service the idler the machine had be almost completely disassembled including pulling the drum out the top. She, even though the machine was fairly new, didn't feel it was worth the labor to do all that. The idler sets low on the side that faces the washer so I said get me a can opener, Well aviation snips, and i will replace that prick. She laughed and said go for it. She already had the parts because she bought a kit recently because it was making some noise. Even after cutting a hole it was still a little challenge but I got it changed. I cut a neat oblong hole on three sides and I told her when I got back today, pouring cement at my daughters, I would finish cutting the hole and make a cover. When I got home this evening the dryer was back together and running. She said rather than mess with a cover she pounded the cut portion back in and duct taped over it. 1500 bucks saved.

2. Big Frank 25

Big Frank 25 Premium Member

Not only cooks but handy too!

DanSS26 and jimbo like this.

3. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

That's funny.
    Crude, but funny.
    Every dryer is built the same.
    Belt idler starts squeaking, you gotta pull the drum.
    clean the lint out while you are in there.

Wait until she tackles the drum bearing on the front load washer. Now tHAT's a job! LOL

Fishndude, wyandot and ESOX like this.
  4. LuckyBucks

LuckyBucks

Sounds like me replacing the fuel pump on my Silverado.

Drop the tank... Nope

Remove the bed... Nope

Take out the bed liner & cut an access hole... Hell yeah!

benelli/girl, DanSS26, jrose and 5 others like this.
  5. hypox

hypox

This is why you buy the cheapest dryer possible. Something breaks, call a scraper to haul it out if the basement and buy a new one for $300.

6. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

Samsung gives you a bigger dryer in less space. They are 4" deeper front to back in a 3 0" wide space.

7. propbuster

propbuster

Uncles used to work in the mines in the UP. That is how all the pumps were replaces on the P/Us at the mines.

8. NATTY BUMPO

NATTY BUMPO

The best appliance store in Traverse City (Max's") no longer carries any Samsung appliances because of warranty issues and premature problems with all. They said they are not worth the troubles. That said, we do like our Samsung TVs.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    DanSS26 and UBDSLO1 like this.
  9. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

I have a Samsung washer, dryer, refrigerator and 4 TVs. They haven't pissed me off yet. All dryers require extensive disassembly to do drum rollers etc.

Gamekeeper likes this.
  10. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Murphy's #1 law, the part that most frequently need serviced/replaced is in the least accessible location.
    Just had to replace the rear seal in my 1995 King Quad. A $6 dollar part and about 6 hours labor.

11. Scadsobees

Scadsobees

Nice fix. Can't go for more than a couple of weeks without clean clothes, time to cut a hole in it....

12. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

Plugger It does not surprise me that your wife got it fixed. You made a great catch when you married her.

Awhile back our super size Maytag washer finally called it quits. This was after 36 years of hard use. Looking for another one was mind boggling. Most were only big enough to hold a small load. The boss ended up buying another Maytag with out an agitator to get one that would hold a decent size load. It takes along time to get a load done.

The controls are confusing as H. NO simple dials to set to get it going. That is alright as I told her she can do all of the washing from now on. I told my oldest son about it. He told me how dry the clothes came out of the last TWO washers like that came out. Yes TWO. They have been married 30 Years but these type washers have not been out that long. Must be like everything else they are made as throw aways.

The refrigerator we keep our deer in after we get them skinned is one with the little freezer compartment. It goes back to the 50's. Still running strong!

DanSS26, plugger and CHASINEYES like this.
  13. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

We purchased a used Maytag super size when we purchased our first house after getting married in 99'. I clean water screens on occasion and had to drill new holes in the frame for tub springs as they rusted out, but its still going strong. Counting the original owners, its been in at least 3 homes. Lol

plugger likes this.
  14. In_the_sticks

In_the_sticks

Have a Samsung dishwasher. Just over 3 years old. SOB started leaking in March. Couldn't find anyone local who would look at it. Google'd it and found problem. Thought it was fixed. Now it started leaking again over weekend. Told the Mrs I will go and buy another GD dishwasher before I drag that out and tear it apart again. When no local repairmen would look at it, I knew we were screwed!

fanrwing and brewster like this.
  15. hommer23

hommer23

If you have a matching washer you might want to check the underside of the lid for rust. My 2 year old Samsung washing machine rusted out so bad it started dropping in my cloths ever spin cycle. Lowe’s fought replacing the top under my extended warranty but did eventually. Couple months after that the bearings started going bad and they said it was caused by metal shavings. After fighting them for another month and telling them it was from the lid they finally had a repair tech look at it and decided to replace the washer or refund the purchase price, so I took the refund and bought a Maytag from Menards.

DanSS26 likes this.